Chapter Eighty-Eight: Chat

~Angel Dust's point of view~

I watched Alastor saunter back downstairs with Rat, both holding the mannequin upright between them. They approached and put the large adult-sized doll down in a chair at the table before sitting on either side of it.

"So...uh...this is Daniel." Alastor said after a few minutes of the mannequin just sitting there and twitching its hands on the table while it had the most awkward facial expression.

Fae turned his head slowly to face the mannequin and stared at it intensely with emotionally charged fury. "What. Did you. Just say." Fae demanded as his eyes flashed silver.

"This is Daniel, my ex. Fae, he's not going to hurt us, he has no control over his body or his other personality." Alastor repeated.

"He looks nice." I shrugged. "But I have to know...would you protect Al with ya life?" I asked Daniel.

"Yes, without hesitation. I already did that once." Daniel replied instantly.

"Good. Welcome to the Protect Alastor Club." I said, holding out my hand to shake. He shook my hand firmly and smiled at me rather fluidly for being in a mannequin.

"You must be Angel." Daniel said after a moment of trying to figure out which one I was.

"Yeah, sorry I didn't think-"

"You never think, Angel. Literally when I did telekinesis on your ass, it was so fucking empty I thought I was staring at an empty canvas." Alastor interrupted me.

Daniel started to chuckle, snorting in between bursts of giggles. Alastor paused, looked over and sighed.

"See, this is one of the reasons I loved you in the first place. You've got a lovely laugh." Alastor said offhandedly with a little bit of wistfulness in his light tone. Daniel didn't seem to know whether to laugh or cry about what Al had just told him, so he buried his face in his hands and made a noise that sounded like ninety percent of the texts I send to Val and Heather: a keysmash.

"Al...don't mess with people's feelings like that." I told him gently as Daniel started to steam under pressure.

"What did I do?" Alastor asked, confused. I forced my thoughts into his head, explaining that some people don't like to be reminded of what once was that they miss. "Oh. Well then. Sorry about that." Alastor cleared his throat.

"Social anxiety is a fuckin' bitch, int it?" Rat asked as we all silently listened to Jeff ramble on and on about what the colors of the Glow Cloud meant in the context of emotions.