Chapter Seventeen: Baby Blue Skies

I woke up crying in the middle of the night about a week after giving birth to Mercy. Mercy was curled up peacefully in her crib and Angel was sound asleep on the floor because he fell out of bed.

And I...

I felt oddly sad and lonely for no apparent reason. I didn't know why I felt like that, but I didn't like it much, so I got up and put clothes on silently before going on a walk down the street by myself.

I ended up in Rosie's Boutique, having had a key and her permission to come in whenever I needed to. I knew Jeff worked and lived there and was an insomniac at the same time, so I had a little hope that he would be there because I needed someone to talk to.

Jeff was chilling in a large bowl chair, on his device as he let his pale wings spread and his hair was tied back for the first time since I met him down in hell.

He glanced up at me as I appeared in the doorway, an instant smile overtaking his face.

"Hey, kid." He greeted me just like he used to back when I knew him as Jess. Then his smile faded, leaving a concerned expression on his face. "Your hair's blue...? I thought demons couldn't have a color scheme change or anythin' major like that...are you doin' okay, Al?"

"I just need someone who knows me really well to talk with. I figured you'd be the best man for the job because my idiot is passed out on the floor next to our bed and is extremely loud, so he'd wake up the baby." I explained.

"Well~ I know something's definitely wrong right now because you're not smiling at all right now. There's a lot of fanart of you and some people drew a light blue version called 2p Alastor who is extremely sad and lonely and touch-starved and it looks like you are turning into him, my good sir. Come chill in my chair with me, there's plenty of space, especially with our two thin bodies." Jeff invited, scooting over so I could sit. I sat down with a heavy sigh, slumping before falling back against the curved side of the chair.

A/N: Way to break the fourth wall, JEFF.

Jeff conjured two hot chocolates, handing me one before asking what I wanted to talk about.

"Feelings, I guess..." I murmur into my hot chocolate.

"Okay, so what has been going on in The Amazing World of Alastor Glass?" Jeff prompted me, sipping out of his cup as he looked at me over the rims of his glasses with mismatched eyes.

"Mercy was born. She requires to be fed every three hours and sleeps roughly sixteen hours in a twenty-four hour span and she appears to enjoy crying randomly. I was happy for a while with just Mercy and Angel, but tonight... I woke up crying and I don't know why. I should be happy." I started. "I mean, this is the most stressful thing I've ever experienced, but it was a good type of stress for a while. And now I feel...er...empty."

"You've never been depressed before? That could be depression, kiddo." Jeff said, looking at me with awe in his pale blue eye and red x-shaped eye.

"I've been depressed before. That time, I wanted to kill myself after my mom was killed, remember? I don't wanna kill myself now." I muttered. "Maybe Juno got fed up with me ignoring my feelings and made my hair turn blue as a sign to me."

"You don't have to want to commit suicide to be depressed. I'm not a therapist, but my guess is that it's probably post-partem depression, often called the baby blues. It's a common thing to new mothers and normally happens within the first few days of their baby's life and goes away on its own." Jeff explained. "And yes, I would say that your deities are pissed at you."

"It's probably rude to ask, but how do you know all this stuff about babies?" I asked him.

Jeff's gaze dropped to his lap. "I always wanted to be a parent, but I always had so much trouble with the idea of having sex without being the one painfully aware that I don't have the right genitalia to get the partner I loved so very much pregnant. She's in heaven right now because she was so painfully oblivious to my...predicament. I miss her dearly." Jeff said softly. "She still knows that I wanted to have a baby with her and yet...she doesn't care. And I respect that because it's her body. We broke up right before I died."

"Aw, Jeffy..." I crooned sadly, tugging him into a hug. He hugged back and I allowed him to play with my ears quietly. He tugged on my antler a little bit and I tugged it out of his hand, making an oddly loud angry huffing noise with my nose. Jeff laughed.

"I didn't know you could make that noise. That's awesome. What other noises can you make?" Jeff asked.

"Angel will tell you that when I rut, I make this odd, guttural grunting noise. I also scream in the strangest way when I don't have any words to describe my frustration to Angel. It sort of starts in a higher pitch and then becomes more bloodcurdling as I drop the pitch down." I explained. "Sadly those noises are too loud for me to do here during the night because Lyric is asleep upstairs among your family and my friend, Rosie."

"Aw, well...thanks for being considerate. We don't need a hyper Lyric up this early in the morning and Rosie would be especially pissed off if you woke her up." Jeff agreed. He handed me his device. "You should probably text Angel to let him know where you are."

I tapped the screen with my slender fingers, typing out that I was at Rosie's with Jeff and that I might be here for another few hours.