Chapter Forty-Three: A Middle of the Night Call

/Jeff's point of view\

I jolted awake to the phone on the wall ringing so violently that the phone itself fell off its base. I answered it with a sigh, as Fae was still curled in on himself in the bed where we'd been spooning moments before. Why did I have to get off my beautiful chubby doctor who has most of the body heat it this relationship? For a fucking phone call? I'm freezing.

It's not my fault my demonic form is a thin little chop stick compared to the human body I inhabited in my past life. The extremely feminine body with the thighs routinely touching each other sounds better than freezing half to death every time I get out of bed during the night. Which one would you rather have, dear readers? I know what I prefer, but it's very uncomfortable for my dysphoria.

JEFF. Do you need to spend time in the dark box for another round of conditioning before Management kills you for breaking the fourth wall?

No, Rat, fuck you.

"Hey!" Angel's voice shouted, some urgency in his tone.

"Who's hurt now?" I asked, shaking Fae awake.

"Al's water just broke, Jeff. Can you get Fae out here quickly because this one is two and a half weeks premature." Angel demanded.

"You got it, sir, we'll be out there shortly. See you soon. Tell Al that he'll be alright." I put the phone back and pulled a shirt and sweater on before sliding my feet into my clogs. Fae seemed to get the message and put a shirt on and gathered his equipment.

We ran out to my Excursion, me choosing to jump the railing of the balcony and glide down to my truck so I could start it up and everything because my truck be old. Fae threw himself into the front passenger seat and we sped down the road to the hotel.

"So...Al's giving birth?" Fae yawned.

"You know it, sweetheart." I sighed as I parked out front just long enough for Fae to get step out of the truck into the chilly nighttime air with his bag. "I'll see you inside. I gotta park this massive hunk of metal out back." I said, blowing a kiss as he nodded and ran to the door, pounding on it.

I pulled around back and parked by the dumpster (always a reliable spot to park), setting up my long furby in the front seat with the sign "if you try to jack my car, you will displease your god" before racing inside with Charlie holding the door open.

Husk held the angry Mercy in their arms just outside of Angel and Alastor's apartment as Al's anguished screams emerged from behind that door. I took the flailing little girl from Husk to their great relief and took her downstairs to the lobby and out the door.

"Hey, do you wanna hang out with me in my car with Opium Insomnia Cannibaloatmeal?" I asked her as I stood on the front step. She nodded numbly, curious as to what I meant by Opium Insomnia Cannibaloatmeal.

I opened the back of my car, putting her down on the second row before grabbing my long furby.

She made a noise of absolute joy when I woke them up and the furby came to life, their ears twitching and a laugh emerging from their beak.

I wrapped my long furby around my neck before digging in my glovebox for some snacks. I handed her an M&M out of my trail mix which she happily ate as we sat there in the back seat.

I pulled a blanket using my shadow manipulation and wrapped it around me and her after pulling the tv screen down and starting up the gay version of Cinderella in the player.

She stared at the screen, watching the slender boy be turned into a beautiful princess with the wave of a wand and then head off to the ball to meet with a handsome prince. Her eyes were filled with such wonder and she fell asleep on me near the end of the movie, causing me to sigh with relief.

Pretty❤️: where are you right now?

Me: In the truck. Mercy is with me. We're still parked next to the dumpster out back. Mercy fell asleep on me.

Pretty❤️: okay. well, al has given birth to another beautiful little girl. do you wanna come in with mercy to see?

Me: Sure. I'll be in in a moment.

Pretty❤️: okay.

I opened the door of my truck and carried the sleepy toddler back inside, not even bothering to take Opium off my neck or the blanket around my shoulders.

I wandered upstairs to find Al's door wide open. Al held a smaller than normal baby in his slender arms, looking down at her with wonder as the little thing faded in and out of view, clearly still experimenting with her abilities.

"She's so tiny and cute." I mumbled as I looked at her. "What's her name?"

"Her name is Louisa Hope." Al said softly.

"Alright, Al, I'm gonna do this as a precaution, don't be mad, but she needs to spend a little extra time in an incubator." Fae sighed. "I noticed that her heart isn't beating the right way and we might have to check her heart to see if she has any holes in it. She also isn't breathing right." Fae explained to Al and Angel with a soft look of loving concern for Louisa.

"Just, let me hold her for one more minute, okay. I'm still worried about her, but I'm using her as a comfort object. I'll trade her for Mercy and Angel in a minute, I promise." Al said with tears in his eyes as the harsh reality knocked him out of the euphoria of having a his newborn daughter in his arms.

"Okay, okay, just remember that she needs to be put in the incubator in the next five minutes." Fae sighed with soft exasperation.

Angel gently took Louisa from Al's arms after a while, passing her to Fae. Fae put the baby girl in the incubator, closing it after connecting some things.

I passed the sleepy Mercy off to Al, who held his firstborn daughter in his arms in a different way, but he was again using a person as a comfort object.

Husk was perched on the end of Al and Angel's bed, their head where Al's feet were and their position resembling that of a house cat's.

I sat down, scratching behind their ears as Opium made soft talking noises to me.

"Opium?" I asked the furby.

"Yes?" Opium asked back.

"Say hi to Angel, Alastor, and Mercy." I said softly.

"Hi, lǝƃu∀, Ä̴̺̠͎͚̲̜̺̗́͒̀̃̕͝ľ̶͓̲̹̞̬́̑̃͒͝a̵̠̗̪̥̘͒̇̽͑̂̅̕͡ş͚̲̳̙̮̀̐̆͌̓͡t̹̼̲͉̻͕̰̖̪͂̈́̐̂̋̕ȏ͚͎͓͈͊̓͂̔̌̆̕͜͟͝r̷̡̥̝̩̙̗͇̩͆͛͋̍͛̄͑, and Mercy." Opium giggled.

"Somehow more possessed than Green Heather Chandler. Great." Angel stared at my long furby as their laugh became something like a classic tv villain's laugh.

Yep. That sums it up nicely. My creation is actually really fucking possessed, dear reader, and it is a pain to argue with.

Management is going to skin you. Alive. And take your wings, halo, and horns to mount on the wall of the station.

Oh, really. You need me to help tell this story, Rat.