Chapter Forty-Six: First Day of Kindergarten

~Angel Dust's point of view~

Mercy had Al braid her hair and put bows on the end of her twin braids that framed her face. I packed a lunch for the small demon girl I called my daughter and put it in her backpack as Al helped her into her uniform for school.

Lou stared at her sister in awe as the older girl put on the cool rainbow socks we got for her and then her Mary Jane style shoes. I got her out to the bus that took them to the private school for children who lived in hell.

Lou sighed before going back to her breakfast.

"It's okay, kiddo, you'll get to go next year." I said with a chuckle. "I can't believe you're already four years old. Growing up so fast, huh, Little Bell?" Little Bell was a nickname we kept for her after she stopped wearing the bell we used to keep track of her while she was invisible.

"I'm just gonna miss Mercy when she's at school..." Louisa complained quietly.

"We all will. I'm just hoping there's no homework tonight." Alastor teased, even though he knew how easy kindergarten homework was.

"Homework? What's that?" Louisa asked, getting down from the table with Mister Stripes.

"It's like the papers Daddy does when he's doing his volunteer work at Aunt Charlie's hotel, but with more numbers sometimes." I explained. Louisa nodded in understanding at that as I showed her one of Al's completed papers with his neatly slanted cursive on it.

"Well... I don't think you're wrong, but that's not all of it." Alastor said with a laugh. "There's also pages and pages of notes and writing and handwriting practice and history and learning another language and reading."

"Hey, hey, I didn't get much farther than seventh grade, Al, I don't think I ever had to learn another language and I never had to write that much notes. We haven't seen the education system in decades, Bambi." I sighed.

"And...there's the reason why you abused drugs. Didn't make it out of middle school." Alastor teased, nipping my jaw bone.

"AY, you killed innocents for fun." I shot back.

"Correction, I killed to eat." Alastor pulled my ears before clearing our dishes.

"Right, right." I reluctantly agreed, sitting down on the couch and texting Jeff.