Chapter Fifty-Eight: New Babies

:Stitches's point of view:

Mercy, Cal, and I got home from school to find that Dad was gone and there were three little babies in Pops's six arms. Mercy raced right up and asked if they were our siblings, receiving a simple yes and being told to take off her coat and backpack so she could hold one.

"Where's Dad?" I asked slowly.

"Out on a run. I dunno when he's gonna be back. Wanna hold one?" Pops asked as I took off my wet jacket and hung it up.

"I mean... I guess so." I said, sitting down on the couch next to Mercy, who was twitching with excitement as she held open her arms. Pops handed Mercy the little redhead and handed me the one with the bright white hair.

"Mercy's holding Samuel and Stitches is holding Jackson. Those are your new brothers and this is Aubrielle, your new sister." Pops said cheerfully, showing off the black haired little girl child.

I looked down into Jackson's ten eyes slowly and evenly, only to get the same cool gaze reflected back by my baby brother. He laughed thirty seconds later and I found myself smiling.

A red deer trotted into the house with a black deer and Grandpa. Pops absentmindedly scratched the red deer behind the ears and petted the black deer's head, talking with Grandpa. It took me a few minutes to realize that one deer was Dad and the other was Grandma.

"Hey, kid." Grandpa said, sitting next to me on the couch.

"Hey, Grandpa." I replied, pushing my hair out of my eyes with annoyance.

"How've you been, Stitches?" He asked politely.

"Good. I'm in kindergarten now! I got a new friend called Fang and they're amazing at climbing the monkey bars for someone who isn't sticky like me." I exclaimed, causing the old Irishman to chuckle a little. "Do you are how, Grandpa?"

"I've been wonderful lately, little sir. Your Grandma and I have been cleaning up the forest a little bit and making little toys if you will for the orphanage. The little children at the orphanage don't really have toys or clothes or personal belongings, so your Grandma and I took it upon ourselves to volunteer there because no child deserves to go without toys or clothes that fit. That would be sad." Grandpa explained, pulling a toy soldier out of the breast pocket of his vest.

"This is for a little boy about your age called Matthias. He requested this toy for Christmas, which is right around the corner. Do you think he'll like the little details I made sure to include?"

I gently ran my fingers over the little carved designs on the soldier's coat and bearskin hat, fascination blossoming in my mind.

"I think he'll love it. What are the colors about on the soldier?" I asked.

"Oh, these are the colors of the British military, which is the best known military in Europe, which is the continent I used to live on." Grandpa explained. "That was before I sailed across the sea and met your Grandma in Louisiana."

"Yes, Grandpa, I know. We wouldn't wanna be here for the next three years as you tell your love story." I said, bumping his elbow with mine.

"Right, right. Anyways...who is this little sweetheart with their bright eyes?" Grandpa asked, gently running a worn thumb over Jackson's chubby little cheek. Jackson cooed and laughed a little at our talkative, toy-making redhead of a grandfather who was calm for the moment. Grandpa instantly lit up and lifted Jackson out of my arms and out of his blanket.

"Oh that's Jackson." I said, watching Grandpa coo at the little hooves at the end of Jackson's chubby legs and play with each of his six tiny hands.

"I'm not trying to be rude here, but he's the most interesting child here and he's brand new." Grandpa chuckled teasingly.

"You could say that again." I deadpanned.