Chapter Twenty-Five: Aw shit. Here we go again...

I woke up early enough that Angel and Mercy wouldn't wake up just so I could vomit into the toilet without them noticing and clean it up before they were awake.

"Fuck..." I muttered, knowing full well that I had bottomed on my wedding day and there was a chance that I was pregnant again. Because once you get pregnant once, you can do it again...

I changed clothes and went downstairs to do some laundry (including my nightshirt, because I didn't manage to miss it when I was puking), sighing in annoyance and hoping that I would be able to hide it pretty well for a while if I was indeed pregnant.

I scrubbed the spots where the vomit hit my shirt before throwing it into the washing machine with the rest and starting it.

Niffty stood in the doorway, looking surprised as I was about to walk out of the laundry room.

"What's wrong, Niffty?" I asked her softly, glancing down at the rag I scrubbed the grossness off using with alarm.

"You never do laundry, Alastor sir, are you doing alright?" Niffty asked, taking my hand.

"I'm fine, my dear." I said, smiling slightly down at her.

"Are you sure?" Niffty asked, using her eye to try to get me to talk to her.

I sighed. "Go get Husker and meet me in dressing room number one by the dance hall." I said, scratching the back of my head as I avoided eye contact.

Off she went, dodging furniture and running down the stairs to the bar where Husk was passed out among the bottles of alcohol.

I could hear her yelling at him to wake up as I wandered into the dance hall's dressing room area, my jacket swishing behind me.

Amaro appeared behind me on the wall, his almost featureless face contorted into a concerned expression.

"I'm okay, my shadowy friend, just a little anxious." I said, putting my hand where his shoulder was on the wall. He followed me into dressing room number one, doing his normal silent concern thing (because he can't talk, he's a shadow).

Niffty dragged Husk into the room thirty seconds later. Husk looked almost dead, but I knew he only refused to get up.

"Remind me to have you help with my next kill when we have to hide the body, Niffty." I said, mildly impressed.

"Okay, sir!" Niffty exclaimed as Husk rolled over.

"What do you want?" Husk asked, looking up at me with some mild hatred in his eyes.

"I just need some reassurance, okay? This is the tenth morning I've woken up to my stomach clearing all its content and I don't know if I could be..." I trailed off, scared to finish that thought. Thankfully, they both picked up on what I meant and instantly Husk became more gentle to me.

Husk got off the ground awkwardly and patted me on the back as I sank down on the cushioned stool. Niffty zipped away, coming back with a handful of pregnancy tests, a box of tissues, a blanket, and a pint of dark chocolate ice cream.

"Now...take it easy, sweetie...you don't wanna wake the whole hotel if they're all positive..." Niffty said, leading me into the bathroom.

I carefully took them, laying them all upside down on the counter before leaving the bathroom, not wanting to know what the results were.

Niffty watched me leave the bathroom before tiptoeing right in to see what the results were.

The bathroom stayed silent for many of my sped-up heartbeats as I anxiously sat there with Husk.

Finally, Niffty emerged, biting her lip. "This probably isn't good news for you, but...they're all very positive...you're pregnant, Alastor..." Niffty mumbled, shuffling her feet on the carpet.

I buried my face in my hands, fighting back tears. "Not again... I might kill a man." I sighed angrily.

"Whoa, not us, sweetie, neither of us are men..." Niffty said, taking a step back before clapping a hand over her mouth when Husk gave her an extremely emotionally charged look of anger.

"Husk...you're a cat, I know you're not a man...you're a fuckin' cat..." I mumbled into his shoulder.

Husk started laughing. "Ya damn right I am! But seriously though, I'm not a guy." He said, going dead serious.

"Then what the hell are you...?" I asked, feeling angry internally because I felt so confused and lost and so very upset at Angel.

"I'm agender. I don't have a gender in my head. It's very empty in there. All that's in there is alcohol, smoke, and cat hair." Husk shrugged. "I'm fine with it though."

"What do I call you now?" I asked, squinting at him.

"Well, my name wasn't actually Husker or Husk when I was alive or came here. It was Henry Stitchfield originally, so Husker or Husk is actually the name I wanted to be called after a while because I am a husk in terms of gender. They/them is preferred over he/him though, if you could call me that." Husk explained excitedly.

"I-I... I only got the last part, but okay. I will call you they/them because you're thirty rats stacked in a trench coat." I said, doing my best to absorb what they just threw at me. "Do you know how many genders there are?"

"Two. Two genders." Husk said with no readable expression on their face. I gave them a look like what the fuck and they just: "I transcend all gender."

"Alright, that's fair. But back to me wanting to kill a man." I said.

"Angel? He has respawned every time we tried to kill him..." Niffty said with a heavy sigh as she wrapped the blanket around me and pried open the ice cream. "Here you go, Alastor, have some ice cream..."