Chapter 9 - Mike

Mike: I'm sorry for the temp. Let me make it up to you. I treat you to a dinner this weekend?

Rainey: nice try, Romeo. No.

I laugh so hard. When was the last time women rejected dinner with me?

I have a lot of jobs but my mind and eyes keep traveling back to a woman in front of my door. Rainey Wright. She amused me in every way. Her smart, her sass, her sweet, her badass. How can a woman have a rich personality like this? Not to mention her perfect body and face, and her hair.. too bad today she didn't put her hair down like in the wedding. I'd love to see her long hair swaying at her back. It's so sexy. Especially when I pounded on her from behind. Her hair swaying—

No shit! I'm having a meeting with Kim in 5 mins and I'm sporting a hard on. I look at my worksheet. Focus, dude!

My phone is ringing... Ethan...

"Hey dude!"

"Hey Mike! Everything is good in the office?"

"Perfect, except I miss your ass in the office" I joke and he laughs. "Hey listen, I'm going to have 3 weeks off instead of 2 weeks"

"What? Why? Where are you by the way?"

"My house"

What the hell? "I thought you are going to the island you just bought for your wife"

"Yes, but Christian and Meredith decide to elope, and they ask me and Madeline to be their witnesses. They will be married this Saturday. And after their wedding, we will start our honeymoon"

I chuckle "who are you imposter? My friend Ethan Hall is a workaholic?"

Ethan chuckles too "he changed to a better man now, dude" that's true, if before Ethan workaholic more like crazy people, now he balances his life with family and work.

"okay boss! You don't have to worry. I'll take care of your company here" I smile.

"Perfect. And Madeline asked me to tell you this"

"She misses me?" I joke.

"Fuck you, Mike" he says it but he chuckles anyway. "She said you have to treat her friend right. Rainey is her best friend AND my executive assistant. Don't do anything that will ruin my life, dude"

I laugh "no, actually I'm planning to... um... get to know her better" I say slowly.

Silence... "Ethan?"

"Oh wow... I didn't see this coming, dude"

"So did I" I say. "But, she is different from the women in my life. I mean the one I crossed path with"

"Yeah, she is better than your plastic bimbos, obviously" he say matter of factly

"Damn you Ethan!" but that's true, I know too.

"Look, as long as you're not deliberately hurting her feelings I think Madeline is fine" he says and I can imagine he shrugs. I smile to myself. At least my best friend didn't object to my choice. "And Mike..."

"Yes?"

"let me know if you want to enrol Relationship 101 class"

"Fuck you Ethan!"

***

Even though I'd love to flirt with Rainey all the time, I have a lot of work to do. Ethan doesn't sign my check for me to flirt with a woman. I just finished my last meeting at 7.30 pm and Rainey is already home. Guess I'm going to have my dinner without her. My meeting partners have their own family and are eager to go home.