Chapter 31 - Mike

"She was so devastated. Her mom called her crying and sobbing. The doctor told them that they need to do the surgery immediately. I wanted to lend her my money but she didn't want to receive my money. Said that she doesn't when she can pay me back. She worked so hard all the time because of John, and suddenly she couldn't do anything. That was when Kirk came to give her an option on the silver platter. Deep down Rainey knows it was like an escort selling her life to Kirk but she needed the money more than her life. So she did it. And most importantly she didn't sell her body to him. Kirk never touched her. They are best friends. Rainey is like a sister to Kirk and vice versa"

Monty words from last night keep coming to my ears. I trust him and I do understand why Rainey accepted Kirk and his charade. And somehow I hate myself for not giving Rainey a chance to explain to me from the very beginning. And when she told me my head was cloudy with jealousy. I was too focused with Kirk, instead of the reason why Rainey caved in to Kirk's proposition. I should've known that Rainey will do anything for John. She loves him so much.

I love you, Mike... I loved you even before you asked me to be your girlfriend.

I look at Rainey. She is still sleeping. I couldn't sleep last night. I just sit here, watching her sleeping with Monty's voice kept ringing in my head.

Her phone rings. I lunge to take it before it wakes her up. "Hello"

"Um... Mike?" I look at the screen. Dad. It's Devon.

"Hi Devon. Sorry Rainey is still sleeping so I pick up the phone to not wake her up" oh shit! It doesn't sound right.

"Oh that's okay. We just want to check her up. It's good she has you by her side"

Did he know we already broke up? What should I say?

"Just let her know I call her okay. Oh and did you receive the paint from John? He asked me to send it to you"

"Yeah. I did. Sorry I forgot to inform you, I was so busy these few days. Thank you Devon" I feel the lump in my throat.

"Your welcome. Have a great day, son!"

"You too" we end the phone.

I look at Rainey, she looks back at me. Shit. She is awake.

"I... um... sorry. You were sleeping when your phone rings. So I picked it up to not wake you up" I come to her.

"Was that my dad?"

"Yeah... he wanted to check on you. I didn't tell him you are in the hospital"

"God no. I don't want them to fly here. I'm fine"

I nod.

She is trying to sit down. "Hey!" I come to her. "What do you want? Lay down!" I hold her shoulders and push her to lay down.

She blinks. We are so close. This close I can smell her strawberry scent even though it's faint.

"I just want to take water" she says. I pull back and take the water for her. I help her to sit down and give her the water. She drinks it and holds the glass. I take it from her, put it on the table.

"Thanks... um.. When can I go home?" She asks me.

"I don't know. The doctor will check you up once again"

"Thank you" she says softly.

"What for?"

"For staying here with me" she smiles. Her smile is so beautiful, it hurts me.

I clear my throat. "Monty was here yesterday but you already sleeping so we didn't wake you up"

She nods.