Chapter 29 - Rainey

Molly and I meet in the bakery near my apartment. We sit in the corner. I don't know what to say to her. I look at her with uncertainty.

She squeezes my hand "are you okay, sweetheart?" She smiles warmly at me.

My tears are leaking. I'm trying so hard to hold it but I can't. I pull my hand to hug myself and cry silently. I try to compose myself.

"I'm sorry Molly" I croak. "I'm sorry I hurt his feelings. It's never my intention Molly" I shake my head.

"I know. Tell me, Rainey. What happened with you and Winterland"

I told her like the one I told Madeline. I left the fact that Kirk is a gay.

"Did Mike know?"

I shake my head. "I tried to explain to him but he won't listen to me. And I'm sorry Molly, back then when I was in San Diego for the family gathering... I wasn't Mike's girlfriend. We are... were together a month after the family gathering. Back then he just asked me to help him to come as his date. I'm sorry I lied to you. God, I'm so sorry I lied to you again and again. I'm sorry" I feel ashamed now.

"I'm so sorry Molly. It was never my intention to lie to you. I'm not a liar..." I trail off. It's so ridiculous to say that when I just confessed to her about my lies. "Sorry..." I say weakly.

"Rainey... look at me" Molly says softly.

I look at her. I'm ashamed of myself. But when I look at her, she looks warmly at me. Actually she looks worried about me. "Have you eaten properly this week?"

"What?" I say weakly.

"Mike told me you tend to skip your food when you are stressed out" she smiles. "So? Did you take care of yourself this past week?"

I nod... and then I realized I'm not going to lie to her anymore. Not anymore. I shake my head.

She exhales "I thought so too." She pushes the plate with a croissant to me. "Eat, sweetheart."

So I eat, even though the croissant tastes like sawdust.

***

Monday comes. I walk automatically to get ready to go to the office. Yesterday after we finished with our snack, Molly told me that she will check on me next month when she comes to LA. I don't know what to say. She is so nice to me. But I can't help to see Mike in her and it makes my heart hurt. But I couldn't say no to her. She is so sweet and I adore her.

I park my car in the parking lot and go to the elevator straight to Ethan's floor. The elevator is open and I find... Ethan, Mike and Madeline. 3 pairs of eyes looking at me. What's wrong?

I smile a bit and go to my desk. I don't know how to face Mike.

"Rainey... could you please come to my office?" Ethan says. I look up at him. His face is unreadable.

"Okay" I croak. I put my purse and go to Ethan's office. I force myself to not look at Mike.

Ethan walks and sit on the couch, he gestures to me to sit too. So I sit in front of him. Madeline and Mike also come into Ethan's office. But they are standing. What happened now?

"Is everything okay?" I ask Ethan.

"You don't know?"

I frown "about?" I ask slowly.

Ethan presses something on his remote, the screen that shows multiple news from around the world changes to one big screen. It's Kirk's face.

"Kirk Winterland, Senator Billy Winterland's only son got caught by paparazzi in the hotel in Los Angeles with a man. They were seen in the gay club before they ended up in the hotel. While Senator Winterland announced the engagement of Kirk and his long term girlfriend, Lorraine Wright who is working in the Hall Industries as Ethan Hall's executive assistant."