Chapter 24 - Rainey

This is crazy, in the next hour Mike and I take a picture of John's paint. Mike already sold some of the paints actually. I put the details for each sold paint. We're going to send it tomorrow after we pack it.

Mike grins and comes to me "sold this one, baby" he shows me the paint with a lot of bread. The paint looks so real. My mouth is watering right now "to?"

"The one and only Helen Hall"

"What?" My eyes widened.

"Not really. It's Christian. He bought it for Helen"

"Oh wow..."

My phone rings. Meredith. "Hello Mer?"

"Why did you never tell me your brother is a painter?" She says without preamble.

"Um... he's not a famous painter" I say dumbly.

"Are you insane? His paint is so beautiful! Ian bought one for Helen and one for our house. I want another one for Bea. Her birthday is next week"

"Oh wow..." I'm still speechless.

"Look, the only thing missing from the paint is the frame. Of course we can put the frame by ourselves. But if you can put a nice frame you can raise the price for sure" Meredith says.

"Oh.. um... well, Mer. This is still new for me. I'm going to put your advice on my list. Thanks Mer"

"Sure! Help me to find one that suits Bea okay. You know her right? Bea White, my manager"

"Yeah. Of course. Okay"

We end the phone. I look at Mike. I don't think the words thank you is enough to express how I feel right now.

Mike is still busy with the paint. He separates the ones that already sold.

I look at John. He is still focused on his latest work. I come to him. "John, in half an hour we will go to dad's restaurant. Okay"

"Ok Leni" John nods.

"Ok" I kiss his head and go to Mike. "Mike, come here. I want to show you something" I take him out from John's room and walk to my room.

"Where are we going? I haven't packed the paints."

"Um.. we can do that later." I open my room door. Mike stands at the door. "Um.. Rainey, I don't think it's a good idea for me to go to your room"

I giggle "we are adults, Mike."

"Yeah I know, but still. It's dangerous to have you alone and a bed at the same time"

"Just come in" I pull him and lock the door. He spins around "Rainey?" His voice warns me.

I come to him and kiss him "thank you" I whisper to his mouth.

His hands come to my waists and he pulls a bit "what for?"

"You helped John with his paint. I don't know how to say it. But, thank you so much, Mike" I hug him and now I can't help the tears on my eyes.

"Hey hey" he looks at me and wipes it "why are you crying?" He takes me to the bed and we sit down.

I shrug "it just.. I don't know. John's treatment is always a big rock on my shoulders. Like I don't know where it will strike me. But now, we have enough money for his treatment. Thanks to you"

He caresses my cheeks "hey, you work so hard for him. John is so lucky to have you. C'mon give me a smile. I help you to see your smile not your tears, Rainey"

I nod "I know. I'm just overwhelmed" I hug him. "It's always me. I am always the one who takes care of my family, and even when I had a boyfriend, it was always me the one who took care of them. But you are different. You are the one who takes care of me, who helps me.."