Chapter 28 - Rainey

5 days as Mike's girlfriend, I never feel happier than this. He even came to my trapeze studio but in 10 mins he told me he will wait outside. He was going to have a heart attack when I fell. But it's safe actually. We have a net down there. But still my boyfriend said he almost screamed like a girl when he saw me fall.

And today I will go to the event with Kirk. I exhale while I'm doing my makeup. Mike is going with his college friends. Accidentally all of them are in LA. What a coincidence! I hope he won't find out I'm not at home when he goes with his friends.

Monty told me to come clean with Mike. I agreed with him at the first, but when Mike came to the Monty's Bar with his grin. I can't... I'm afraid I couldn't see that grins ever again. I don't think he will look at me the same as now. With all the love, admiration and happiness. I can't... I don't want to take a risk that can destroy the perfect relationship we have. So I chickened out and decided to not tell him. When I went to the kitchen, Monty called me, we argued a bit. He told me to tell Mike, but I can't. Now, I just hope he will never know. I only need to go to this event and after that I can bury this secret for the rest of my life.

I'm wearing my black simple dress. I let my hair unbound, wearing my makeup. I exhale. Last one and then I'm free. Mike doesn't have to know...

***

The guilt is eating me up. Every step I take in the charity makes me want to puke. I pull Kirk to the corner "I can't Kirk." I shake my head

He looks at me "just for a while Rainey"

"I know but I can't"

"Look.. this is an exclusive event only for the government only. Your boyfriend isn't here"

"I know. But it feels wrong. I can't do this, Kirk. I just can't..."

"Kirk!" The voice booming behind us. I know it's Kirk's father. Senator Winterland.

We turn around. "It's so good to see you again, Rainey" he kisses my cheek.

I smile stiffly. "How are you, Billy?"

"Perfect, Rainey" he smiles. "Are you okay? You look pale"

I inhale deeply "Billy, I'm sorry. I don't feel well. Can I—"

"Oh sure, sweetheart. Go home and take a rest." Sweetheart... I feel more guilty now. I need to go. "Kirk, take her home safely"

"Sure, dad" Kirk says.

We are in Kirk's car. "I'm sorry Kirk"

"It's okay Rainey. Hey we've talked about this before, right. You already accompanied me to the event. Now you are free"

I smile at him. "Thanks Kirk"

"I hope Mike Anderson can make you happy, Rainey"

"Thanks Kirk" I say softly.

I ask Kirk to drive me to Mike's apartment. I can't hold this secret from him. I need to tell him. He texted me 5 mins ago telling me he already came back to his place.

I can feel my heart thumps wildly. I'm nervous but I know I have to tell him. Not because I'm afraid he will know someday, but because I want to come clean to him. Monty is right...

The doorman let me in. 3 days ago Mike told them to put me on his guest list. That I can come up whenever I want.

I go to Mike's apartment and knock on the door. Mike opens the door and grins "hey sweetheart" he pulls me in. I go with him and he closes the door

He looks at me "are you okay?" She caresses my cheek. "What's wrong?"

I open my mouth but nothing comes out. He takes me to sit on the couch. His tv is on.