Chapter 23 - Rainey

I wake up at 7 the next morning. I check my phone, no text from Mike. He must be still sleeping.

Rainey: Good morning Mr. Mike Anderson. Let me know when you are awake. So I can pick you up and we can have a morning breakfast together.

I go to the toilet and do my business. I walk to John's room "John" I take a peek. He is still sitting on his bed. He just woke up. I smile and knock on the door. He looks at the door and his face lit up when he sees me. "Leni" John couldn't speak fluently, and he couldn't say 'R'. So he called me Leni.

"Hey I miss you" I come to him and hug him. But he can understand what you said. It's just he can't say it back.

He goes to his drawer and takes his shirt, he goes to his bathroom to change. This is his routine, the doctor told us that it's better to make him have his own daily routine. It's good for him and for us.

We walk together downstairs. Mom is making porridge for us.

"are you hungry?" I ask John and he nods. "Perfect. Me too!" I laugh and he smiles at me. We sit at the table, I look at my phone to see if there is any message from Mike, and yes there is a message from him

Mike: you don't have to pick me up, sweetheart. I'm on my way to your house.

What? Ding dong.

I look at my phone one more time. I chuckle to myself "hey, John... My friend is here. You have to be nice to him, okay?"

John doesn't answer me. He is just enjoying his porridge. That's my brother. I go to the door. Dad is already at the door "Good morning, Mike"

"Morning Devon" he grins.

My eyes widened. Mike is bringing something in rectangle shape and it's huge with another paper bag "what's that?" I say.

"Yesterday you told me about your brother's hobby, and I just saw this paint store next to my hotel. So I bought some for John"

"um... That's so nice of you, but John-"

"Using the same brand of oil colour, sketchbook, and same size of canvas right? I already asked your mom yesterday. So I got it right"

"What?" I squeak.

My dad comes to me "he is one step ahead, young lady" dad taps my shoulder and walks to the kitchen.

I stunt.

Mike comes to me and takes a small box from the paper bag "and this one for my woman" he whispers. I don't have to look to know he bought me my favourite chocolate, I'm sure mom even told him my favourite underwear's brand. Should have known this. Mom has been dying for me to have a boyfriend since my epic failed ex last year.

I tiptoe and kiss him "thank you Mike" I whisper and he grins. I take the chocolate from him and grin.

"Hey Rainey. You take this too. Just tell your brother this is from you. Your mom said that your brother doesn't want anything from a stranger"

I think for a while and smile "we'll see" somehow I have a feeling John will like Mike. I don't know how, it's just my feeling.

We walk to the kitchen. I come to John and hold his shoulders "John, my friend is here." I turn him to face Mike. Mom and dad stop from their activity. We all know last time John met my ex (not the one from G-media, the one before that. Patrick my toxic boyfriend 6 years ago. John was throwing the bowl and fork to him, screaming and crying like my ex was an evil. Well, he is actually way.)

Mike stands there with his friendly smile "hi John"

I look at John, he just looks at Mike for a while, nods and turns back to eat his food. See! He treats him like he knows him. Don't expect my brother to smile or welcome you. His friendly gesture is ignoring you. That means he believes you wouldn't do anything bad to him.