Chapter 21

- A m a r a  R u s s o -

"So, about what happened yesterday..." Salvestro trailed off, and I perked up.

Salvatore had decided that we are going to be taking a day off today because of all the news about the twin's sweet sixteen birthday being crashed. I still didn't understand why it had happened, and I was hoping to get my questions answered soon. Preferably now.

My brain was starting to hurt with all the questions it was forming, and the only thing helping me right now were the voices as they gave me helpful suggestions of what had happened.

'It might have been the Mafia.' The voice shrugged.

'Why would the Mafia want anything to do with Salvatore though?' I frowned, and the voice hummed, not replying to me.

"Yeah?" I replied hopefully to Salvestro, really wanting answers.

"So, pretty much what happened yesterday shouldn't have happened."

"I figured that much out." I commented sarcastically, and although the twins were both bummed at their failed birthday party, they still snickered at my words.

The Romano family have also left this morning, and I didn't even get to say goodbye to either of the adults before they were on the plane back to California.

"Anyways," Salvestro continued, giving the twins a warning look. "The people yesterday are part of a gang. They thought that they would be able to over power us, but they were wrong."

"But what about the guns? Why did you guys have guns?" I asked, questions still jumbled at the front of my mind.

It was as if the questions in my head were young children and they were all shouting and raising their hand to be picked. In this case, it was to be picked so that their question could be asked from my mouth.

"Remember? We always have guns on us because of emergencies." Salvestro shrugged as if it was normal.

"Are you even allowed to own a gun?"

"In our case, yes because we have our permits." Sandeo answered this time, and I nodded my head slowly.

"Then why were there cars following us?" I inquired.

"Because they thought that if they kidnapped one of us, they would be able to take you as leverage, making Salvatore have to give them money to get you back. Fortunately, we managed to escape their grasp." Salvestro replied.

"They were going to kidnap one of us?" Aghast, I faced the others with a look of horror written across my face.

"It shouldn't be surprising, Amara. Everyone wants us, dead or alive so that they can get Salvatore to give them money, or even worse, his entire empire." Santino shrugged as if it wasn't a big deal.

"Dead or alive?" I repeated, my jaw hanging as I processed his words.

"Preferably alive, of course." Santino continued, "But beggars can't be choosers."

"Why are you talking about this so normally though?" I shivered, wrapping my arms around myself.

"Because it is normal to us now." Salvino acted like it was nothing to him, but I can detect the haunted look in his eye. It was the look I saw every day when I was still with Jake.

"But why would they want to kidnap Samantha?" I frowned.

"Because Samantha is Ace's wife." Sandeo answered as if it was obvious. Well, it wasn't obvious to me. "It is so obvious that Ace loves his family and would do anything for them, so if they kidnapped Samantha, the 'kidnappers' could pretty much ask Ace for anything and he would have to deliver or risk his family."