Chapter 42

- E l e n a  F e r r a r i -

Her eyes were closed as dribbles of crimson seeped out of the bullet wounds within her.

I don't believe it.

"No."

I didn't even realize that I was the one saying that one word until I started shaking my head in denial, my legs threatening to collapse under me.

"Check her vitals," Ace ordered, putting up a tough exterior when I knew that he was breaking inside. "She's not dead. She can't be... Dead."

The word felt foreign even to my own ears.

I always joked about death, but now that it's staring me straight in the face... I didn't want to believe it. I can't believe it.

"Samantha!" I yelled, collapsing to the floor as I slapped her face a few times.

"You better not die on me." Ace muttered to himself, face as pale as snow as he dialled his own personal ambulance to come over.

Perks of being rich.

Yeah, not the time for humour right?

I pressed two fingers to her wrist, making sure that she was still alive as the medical team started putting pressure onto her wounds.

Now usually, I craved to see the beautiful flow of red creep out of my victims, but this is not my victim. This is my best friend. My sister, blood related or not, and all I wanted to do was shove all that thick, dark red, back into her body.

"There's a pulse." I let out a breath of relief, my entire being relaxing at the thought that she wasn't dead.

"Her pulse is weak," a doctor observed, his ear right next to her mouth as he stared at the slow, shallow rise of her chest. "She needs medical attention immediately, at a hospital." he added.

"The amount of blood she has lost is quite alarming for just two bullet wounds," a nurse piped in helpfully, a concerned look on her face as the medical team continued doing whatever they were paid to do. "She must be really out of energy if she still hasn't woken up yet."

I needed no more clues to know what she was hinting at. Samantha was probably already drained of energy when she broke free. The fact that Samantha still managed to kill all of the people following her even when she looked like she could collapse any second was a testimony to her strength and how much adrenaline can affect you when you are truly desperate.

"The ambulance is on its way." Ace announced, hanging up the phone as he blinked blankly at his wife's figure laying on the floor. "Should arrive in a few minutes at the latest."

It seemed as if Ace was still in denial that Samantha was on the brink of death, making it sound like she was just wounded and not about to cross into the borders to heaven. Or hell. I think she might go to hell, and it's not me being mean, but me stating the truth. The hard facts.

Samantha, Ace, Marco, me, we all killed for a living, and I would be extremely surprised if we even get the chance to go purgatory instead of being sent straight to the Devil's lair.

It wasn't long before Ace's personal ambulance was here, not at all fazed by the splatters of blood all over the alley walls. They were probably used to seeing these bloody scenes now.