Epilogue

- A m a r a  R u s s o -

"Bambina..." Salvestro's voice slowly registered into my brain as I opened my sleepy eyes.

"Yeah?" I groaned, stretching out my muscles as I rubbed my tired eyes.

"What are you doing?" he asked, and I looked at Santino.

My brother was still laying on the hospital bed, his form unmoving as his chest rose up and down in a steady rhythm. I was growing tired of seeing this. All I wanted was for Santino to get up. For him to start moving. For him to, I don't know... Do anything that is not related to sleeping.

"Nothing," I murmured, staring at the bed and at Santino's closed eyes.

"Well, I wanted to ask you what you want to do tomorrow." Salvestro said kindly, "It is your birthday, April the thirteenth, and I want to make sure that you experience the best."

I shrugged my shoulders, not in the mood to discuss birthday parties when my brother was still in the hospital.

Honestly, all I wanted was for Santino to not act like he was dead and do something. He can insult me, spew hurtful words at me for all I cared. But this? Where he's just lying on bed, unconscious and playing sleeping beauty? I didn't like it.

"Bambina, you've got to tell me something." Salvestro prodded, walking over to me and pulling me into a gentle hug as I gripped onto his clothes.

"I don't know." I mumbled into his shirt, "I just want Santino to wake up."

"Santino will wake up." Salvestro said reassuringly, his eyes glancing over to his youngest brother. "When he is ready, he will wake up."

"But it's been months." I complained, "He has to wake up soon."

"Don't worry too much, Amara." he replied, "He will wake up in due time."

"I hate it." I muttered, "I hate it. He looks so... Dead."

Not only that, but I absolutely despised the feeling of guilt, crushing me down every day, reminding me of the fact that Santino took a bullet for me. Me of all people, which caused him to fall into a coma. Trust me. That feeling that weighs in your chest when you feel an immense amount of guilt? Yeah, it's suffocating and completely overwhelming and stressful.

"You don't have to worry too much." Salvestro comforted as if it would actually help me feel better. It didn't. But to be fair, at least he tried.

The mood became somber as we both stared at the brother who was probably the meanest, but also the one who cared deepest.

"Anyway," Salvestro laughed, trying to lighten up the mood. "What do you want for your birthday?"

"For him to wake up." I deadpanned, motioning towards the sleeping man on the bed.

Suddenly, my phone pinged, signaling a message.

Curious because no one ever texts me other than Elena, - who is probably dead by now, but who cares - I took a peek at my phone to see CAMERON texting me.

"Who's that?" Savestro asked.

"No one important," I murmured, reading over the message.

Hey Amara!

It's Cameron, and I have something to tell you. I know that you know that Santino and I are dating, which is why I am texting you in confidence that you won't tell his brothers unless absolutely necessary. Anyways, I've been worried about Santino lately. He hasn't been answering my calls or my texts, and he hasn't made any appearances on social media. I'm starting to wonder if he's hurt or something, so if you can please reply to this message about how Santino is doing, I would be extremely grateful.