Chapter One: The Mark to Never Forget

Evelyn:

Glancing over at the clock, it was lunchtime. Dialing up the local sandwich shop I ordered Hudson's Italian grinder and an egg salad sandwich for me. My chair squeaked as I stood up, walking over to his office door. The door was slightly ajar, a blush rising to my cheeks. Hudson sat in his chair, snoring away. The midday sun bathed his bare broad chest, his arm muscles bulging. I was turning to leave when a couple of words froze me in my tracks.

"Oh, Evelyn." He moaned pleasurably in his sleep, my face only growing redder. "Touch me more." His empty coffee cup was bothering me, the floor creaking as I stepped forward. My trembling fingers wrapped around the ceramic handle, his arms pulling me onto his lap. Squirming, I struggled to get out of his arms. My heart fluttered at his touch, the Alpha Hudson was holding me. All my life we were together, his handsome face melting my heart every single time. Almost every night, his hands touched me in my wet dreams. Shaking my head, I needed to focus and get his lunch. Sliding out of his arms, I sprinted out of the office. A sigh of relief washed over me, my body collapsing into my beat up blue sedan. The keys jiggled in my hands, the car key finally sliding into its spot. My eyebrow twitched, Hudson was staring out the window in his black t-shirt and black jeans. His emerald eyes met my chocolate brown eyes, his  black wavy shoulder length hair swayed in the hot summer breeze. Blinking again, he was standing outside of my window. Clenching the hem of my black dress that accentuated my five foot seven figure, he opened the door.

"Yes, Alpha Hudson."I stammered nervously, my arrow necklace swinging in his hand. "Oh thank you." Sitting down, he didn't leave. His stony gaze just stared out the windshield, his seat belt clicking. A snarl curled on his lips, his fingers drumming impatiently.

"Are we going to get lunch or what?" He snapped impatiently, tapping his foot incessantly. "I have a lot of work to do." My lips twitched irritably, the engine roaring to life. He didn't have to come, we were twenty one. Today is the day our mates were chosen for us, my heart was hoping my mate was him.

"If you are so busy, then you don't have to come." I retorted coldly, putting my long wavy brown hair into a messy bun. Hard to believe, but he once was a happy guy who flirted with anyone or anything until the day an army of vampires launched an attack on our clan. Both of our parents died, him becoming Alpha at the age of eighteen. Awkward silence hung heavily between us, a sigh of relief flooding from my lips as the deli loomed in front of me. Running in, my friend Latia waved me over. The dark green polo shirt hugged her petite body, her white tennis skirt fluttering in the breeze. Her green eyes twinkled with joy, her jaw dropping at the sight of her brother in the car.

"Girl, you got my brother out." She chirped cheerfully, passing me my sandwiches. "I hope you are going to be his mate." Looking back into the car, her slender hand stopped me from paying. My lips parted in protest, her other hand passed me a peanut butter cookie.

"I should probably pay for this." I uttered irritably, his foul mood poisoning the nice one I had this morning. "He just kind of sat down in my car. Is he okay? I know we all live in the same damn log cabin, but he hasn't stopped staring at me all day." Giggling to herself, Grayson, his one and only rival, sauntered in. His gray hair flipped to the left, the sides shaved. His gray eyes twinkled in my direction, his broad muscles flexing. Cockily, he put his arms around my shoulders. I cannot describe in words how much I hated Grayson while Latia was obsessed with him. Trying to focus on the lilac walls and outdated humming machines filled with various deli items, the bell rang. My breath hitched, Hudson stood there, ripping Grayson off of me.

"She belongs to m-." He began, but stopped. Snatching our food, he dragged me out to the car. Carnal growls rumbled in Grayson's throat, him putting me in the passenger's seat. Clicking my seat belt, the engine roared to life. Peeling out of the parking lot, he pulled into the nearby park. Werewolf children played on the wooden playground, his steely gaze softening.