Chapter Thirty-Five: A Wedding from Hell

Evelyn:

Two different dresses hung in the bag, the black silk ball gown matching his simple black tuxedo with the scarlet dress shirt. The other one wouldn't do it at all, a sinking pit growing in my stomach. Pulling off my current outfit, his strong hands pulled the gown over my head. The silk felt soft against my skin, my fingers tracing the embroidered blood lilies all over the skirt. Zipping it up, he adjusted the sweetheart neckline gently. Cupping my face, his lips pressed against mine sweetly. Time stopped for a moment, his hand sliding down to my bump. Resting his forehead against mine, his finger traced my cheek. A knock on the door alerted us, a pink haired vampire scurried in with a black makeup case. Her red eyes glistened with adventure, her petite body bouncing around the room. Just what I needed, another bucket of sunshine in my life. Rolling my eyes, this whole popular thing was driving me nuts.  

"I am Peony Bloodsworth, Sir. Bloodsworth's daughter." She introduced herself gleefully, her black lace dress bounced with each step towards me. "I fired your makeup artist so I could meet the cupid that made my father happy." Her long silky hair hung like a curtain around her face, her black gloved hand shoved the real makeup artist out of the room. Her painted lips spread into a wider grin, her nose sniffing my neck. A chill ran up my spine, her vibe giving me mixed signals. Unable to trust her, her next action only made my distrust a bit deeper. Playing with my white hair, my hand grabbed her wrist as Hudson backed off. No one touched me without my permission, especially some stranger. 

"So curious." She continued haughtily, shoving Hudson's suit into his chest. "Go get dressed, you handsome hunk. If you weren't taken, I would take you right now. You are a white wolf. I have never met one in person. I can't wait to work with you once I become queen. I can smell the leader in you. It smells amazing, but the sadness poisons the scent." Sitting me on the bed, Hudson wandered cautiously into the bathroom. His eyes narrowed in his direction, his trembling fingers cracking his knuckles. Thank goodness for our matching thoughts. Smiling cruelly in his direction, my red eye twitched slightly. There was no death date, just a glitching infinity signal over her head. Saying nothing, she flicked her wrist to give me a smokey eye with a cat's eyes.  Not one person before had an infinity symbol, a myriad of thoughts coursing through my mind. 

"How come I didn't know about you?" I inquired oddly, not quite comfortable around her yet. "Are you a true immortal?" Setting the box down, the mattress creaked as she plopped down next to me. Pulling her knees to her chest, her insecurities began to show through the cracks of her wall. Seeing her broken like this, shattered my heart.  No one deserved to feel this way, guilt dimming my eyes. A person really didn't have to tell a stranger a damn thing.  

"My mother was an angel who died when I was born. So, yeah I am a true immortal." She sighed in a depressed tone, her wrists resting on her knees. "It can be so lonely. My only lover could only be an angel. I see why he likes you. You are like a warm hug, so don't let your icy past freeze your heart." Taking her hands, subtle surprise flashed in her eyes. Silent tears flooded from her eyes, her head bowed in shame. Wiping away her tears, her vibe matched that of a broken doll.

"I know that you will find your husband someday. I have done many things that I am ashamed of. I think you are beautiful." I commented sincerely, braiding her hair into a side braid. "See now we can all see your magical smile." Flying into my arms, her tears soaked my shoulder. The bathroom door swung open, Hudson stepping out. My breath hitched, the suit hugging his larger muscles. An exhale of disbelief left his lips, his eyes rolling. A tender blush rose to my cheeks, a nervous grin dancing across my lips.   

"I leave for a minute and you have already become a therapist to someone else.' He joked tenderly, adjusting his black silk tie. "How typical of you?" Peony flipped him off, her wet eyes looking up at mine. Black eyeliner ran down her face, my shoulder covered in her makeup. Shaking my head, she wiped up her face. Horror widened my eyes at the sight of the scars covering her skin, some fresher than others. Looking away in shame, Hudson cleaned up my shoulder. Lifting up her chin with my finger, my hands cupped her face. Confusion dawned on her face, my lips pressing into a thin line.  The bruises told a tale of bullying from her peers, her father probably never knowing.