Chapter Fifty-Six: A Tedious Alliance

Hudson:

Watching everyone eat but Evie eat her small plate of food alarmed me, her fork pushing her noodles around. Pushing her plate away, her fingers drummed the surface of the table. Flynn fussed in his playpen, a long sigh pouring from her lips. Pausing at the window, terror rounded her eyes. Playing with her dagger, my bare feet pounded over to the window. Demons paced back and forth, waiting for her to come out. Master Nuit waved up at her, a blemished silver dagger spinning in his palm. Sparks danced in the air as he ran it up the tree, her fingers gripped the window sill. Sinking to the floor, Flynn began to wail. Scooping him up, his tiny fingers reached for her swollen breasts. Moving the material over, he sucked until he was full. The gears in her head were turning, Death rising to his feet. This was a sick game of cat and mouse, Evie falling for every trap. 

"Absolutely not!" He barked suddenly, all of us jumping back. "You are not going down there by myself." Finishing up feeding him, she laid him down gently before leaping out the window. Circling each other, their daggers spun in their palms. Neither one had the power left to expand their weapons, both of them coming to a silent agreement. Cupping my ears, the next words stunned me.

"Do you mind fighting on my side?" She offered sincerely, rubbing her forehead. "Why are you trying to kill me anyways?" Jumping out the window, the chilly evening air lashed at my cheeks. Landing gracefully next to her, he took a step back. Stepping in front of her, the demons trembled behind him.

"There is a ten million dollar reward over your head because the king of Hell wants you dead." He explained briskly, her eyebrow twitching with irritation. "I personally like you but I need to fund my own piece of Hell. Don't take any offense to it. If you can offer me a better deal, then I will join your side." Rolling my eyes, the bastard was only out for himself.

"I will help you become the king of Hell." She promised seriously, shock stiffening his body. "I don't know what else I could offer you. I do happen to be one of the most powerful werewolves. What do you say?" Scoffing in disbelief, he shook his head in protest. Clearing his throat, he yanked her closer by her collar. Low growls rumbled in their throats, the tension brewed between them. Waiting with bated breath, my mind wondered if a deal would be reached. 

"How can you manage that, Miss Traumatized?" He taunted cruelly, her hand gripping his arm. "How do you suggest that I do that?" His bone groaned underneath her grasp, a fire burned her in her eyes. Slamming him into the tree, her claws dug into his neck. My inner wolf barked at me to rip his throat out, her inner wolf telling him to simmer down.

"Your first step would be to create a mole to spread your message and break it down from the inside. Once your coup begins, you need to stay on top of your allies. Hell, you can borrow a couple of my friends. Do you know who my father is?" She informed him briskly, her temper flaring. "Fuck you with that. Who do you think ran the clan at home? I lead the hunts against the rogues. Boy, did some of them team up. I have led teams since I was twelve. Screw you. Hundreds of werewolves are dead because of me and me alone. It was my job to protect the town. Sometimes I infiltrated them and got to know them. They were nice people who didn't deserve their fate but I was ordered by the alpha. If you know anything, you have to listen to the alpha or you die." Her words shattered my heart, her confession breaking him. Dropping his body to the ground, tears stained her cheeks. Wiping the blood off of his neck, he struggled to his feet. Surprise rounded her eyes the moment he stuck out his hand. Stepping back with a cautious look, her hands crossed.

"While you were his assistant he was making you hunt down the rogues?" I questioned furiously, interrupting the conversation. "Why did you do all of that?" Bowing her head in shame, her lips moved without words coming out. Moving up her sleeve, a faded slave symbol stood out in her pale skin. Snatching her arm, my finger traced my father's mark.