Chapter Seventeen: Breaking out

Evelyn:

A single yellow light swung over me, magic chains robbing me of all of my magic. Groaning to myself, the chains were attached to the floor of the steel cage that I was trapped in. Protesting bitterly as my head banged against the back of my cage, a grumble rumbling in my throat. Heavy boots echoed down the hall, my grandfather standing over me. His hands were shoved into his black suit pockets, a flash of black underneath his jacket. Running his hands through his slicked back hair, his red eyes glistening excitedly. A wicked grin twisted his face, a key spinning around his finger.

"You let me go, you rotten bastard!" I demanded hotly, my brows furrowing. "I refuse to let you ki-" Maniacal laughter erupted from his lips, the two of us shooting daggers at each other. A piece of my hair fell in front of my face, my body trembling from a sudden weakness. Getting down to my level, he placed his hand on his chin. Chills shot up my spine, I was officially powerless. My magic flowed into him, him twitching slightly. My magic was causing him pain, his veins bulging slightly. The keys fell to my feet, my desperate fingers wrapping around the black metal key. Stumbling back, he was grabbing his eye. Jamming the key into the lock, relief washed over me as it clicked open. The cuffs crashed to the bottom, my feet smashing the door open. Brushing past him, his feet pounded after me. He was faster than me, no longer himself. My powers were corrupting him, the rundown warehouse crumbling a bit with each of his footfalls. I couldn't win, I just needed to survive. Sprinting down the hall, my bare feet skidded to a stop. A gray concrete wall towered over me, a freaking dead end! Bracing myself for impact, black vines shot at me, his normal powers mixing with them. Intense pain shot through me, my own vines slamming into my shoulder.  A scream of pain poured from my lips, my own blood spurting all over my face as he ripped them out. Silent tears streamed down my cheeks, a snarl curling on my lips. His vines were dancing around them, him lacking any control of them. They required a lot of discipline or they would run you ragged. Grabbing my shoulder, I brushed past him, hopping on top of all the vines attacking me. A sea of trees greeted me outside of the window, an idea flashing in my head. Leaping out the open window, a small gasp of agony tumbled from my lips as I crashed onto my wound. Damn it, I cursed at myself. 

"Help!" I called out desperately, my voice cracking. "I need help!" The ground quaked, my plan backfiring quicker than I thought it would. Vines burst from the ground, my feet bouncing off of the tree trunks. The vines wrapped the trunks, my knowledge of them surpassing his. They had a limit, but he didn't know that. My breath grew short, the vines whipping in my direction. Tired, I was so tired. The vines groaned, him stuck in his spot. Turning to run into the darkness, a blood ribbon grabbed my ankle. My face smashed to the ground, mud covering my face. Ripping at the mud, the wet dirt filled up under my nails. A howl of pain exploded from my lips, my body slamming into a tree. Crashing to the ground, the crack of my leg breaking echoed in the still air.

"You can't run now!" He teased coldly, wrapping his fingers around my neck. "I am going to kill you once and for all." His grip grew tighter, my air pipe crushing underneath his grasp. An arrow whizzed by us, a second one quivering in his arm. The effect was null and void, my finger wrapping around the arrow. Ripping it out, I jammed it into his left eye. Blood covered my face, my trembling hand ripping out the arrow. Hot vomit threatened to fly up my throat, his eyeball sitting on the tip of the arrow. Tendons danced in the breeze, my leg screaming in pain as he released me from his grip. The ivory bone stuck out from my leg, my grandfather digging at his now empty eye socket. Crawling away from him, my dinner or whatever meal it was flew up my throat onto the mud. My vision blurred, Theros smashing into him. Soleil shot an orange flame ball in their direction, my powers refusing to come back. He had to die in order for them to come back to me, it wasn't like he was in charge of the hunters anyway. Crawling towards a tree, my blurry vision was not helping at the moment. Ripping off a piece of leather from the jacket he had me in, my teeth bit down on it. Silent tears flooded from my eyes, my shaking hands shoving my bone back in place. Reaching for a couple of pieces of wood, I lined them up on either side of my leg. Ripping the hem of the yellowed night gown, I wrapped it around the pieces of wood. Tying it securely, I struggled to my feet. Leaning against the tree, my hand held my shoulder. I was useless in this shape, a single rock spinning in my palm. His veins bulged dangerously, a window opening. My friends were fighting him, the rock leaving my hand. The sheer strength of my wolf allowed me to flick it towards his forehead. Everyone watched in wonder, the rock smashing through the back of his skull. His silver blade slid to my feet, the silver burning my palms. Spinning it in my palms, my wrist flicked it towards his heart. Silver dyed his veins, my body swaying slightly. Hudson rushed over to me, his strong arms scooping me up. Extreme pain jolted through me as my magic rushed into me, yet my wounds refused to heal. Right, it was my own magic that injured me. The law of magic prevented my own magic healing my own types of attacks, my grandfather slumping forward. Falling to his knees, his heart beat one last time. Sobs wracked my body, the pain was almost too much. My inner wolf howled into the night, surprise widening Hudson's eyes as I leapt out of his arms. Pulling my grandfather onto my lap,  his dead body laying still. Closing my eyes, the blue half moon bathing us with her rays.  All of the elements enveloped him, blood pouring from my nose. Kissing his forehead, his body decayed into a flurry of white rose petals. The petals swirled into the night sky, a star shining brighter than before. The world lost a light today, even if he was misguided in the end. Hudson scooped me up, everyone rushing to his side. People fussed over me, a weak smile danced across my face. Their faces blurred, exhaustion winning over. Sweet slumber took me off to dreamland.

Birds chirped incessantly outside of my window, my body feeling like a train had hit me. Attempting to sit up a ping of pain made me lay back down, Hudson clutching me close to his chest. Wincing in pain, tears flooded from his eyes. Ignoring the pain, I wiped away his tears.

"Jesus christ, I am still alive." I chirped cheerfully, flashing him my real smile. "I will just need a couple of weeks to heal." My eyes fell on the white cast on my leg, dread poisoning my mood. Everyone was going to baby me even more, vases of colorful flowers lined the room. Get well cards overflowed on both of our bureaus. Tears of joy welled up in my eyes, concern flashing in Hudson's eyes.

"Are you okay, Evie?" He inquired sweetly, Latia bursting into the room. "Hey, Latia." His voice was soft with worry, a tray of food in her hand. Attempting to move my shoulder, the stitches would not allow me to at all. Groaning irritably to myself, she passed Hudson the tray of soup and a cup of iced green. Condensation dripped down the cup, the ice clinking a couple of times. A black straw danced around its hole, my throat feeling dry all of a sudden.

"I made you some chicken noodle soup, our mother's recipe of course." She babbled happily, turning to leave. "I am just happy to see you awake. We all thought you were gone." Pausing in her spot, her hand hovered over the handle. Flashing her a come here look, she bounded towards me. Embracing me tightly, she made sure not to hurt my shoulder. Sobbing into my shoulder, her bump grazed my bump. Rubbing the hard bump, it seems to have doubled in size. My breasts ached, both of them slightly larger. Latia let me go, a blank look dimming my eyes. Lost in my head, Hudson poked my good shoulder. Glancing over at him, his warm smile made my heart flutter. He was holding a spoonful of soup, blowing on it carefully. Feeding me gently, it all tasted like nothing, dismay dimming my eyes. Finishing it all off quickly, he laid down next to me. Holding the tea up to my lips, the bitter liquid tasted amazing. Even more condensation dripped down the cup, him setting it down on a black coaster. This was boring, my feet swinging over the edge. Hudson protested as I struggled to my feet, I couldn't just sit here. Panic widened my eyes, my balance way off. Hudson caught me by the waist setting me down on his lap, his lips kissed the top of my head. A soft blush rose to my cheeks, him sniffing my hair. Resting his hand on my bump, he chuckled to himself.

"You really are troublesome aren't you. Seriously, I will just carry you around if I have to." He joked lightly, his lips brushing the nape of my neck. "I am just so happy you are okay." Peeling off the filthy clothes, my breath hitched. His handsome face made me want to kiss him so bad, a soft blush burning on my cheeks. His lips pressed against mine hungrily, a black garbage in his arms. Confusion twisted my face, an evil grin frightening me.

"I have to bathe you, Evie!" He mused playfully, wrapping my leg with the black trash bag. "You can't get your cast wet. You will be healed in a couple of weeks when you transform but until then I have to take care of you. So get ready!" Sighing deeply to myself, he was right. Giving in, he scooped me up. Latia exited the bathroom, a bath all ready for me. Placing my leg on a wooden board over the tub, the water splashed onto the floor as he set me down into the tub. Humming to himself, he scrubbed shampoo into my hair. The warm water made me want to go back to bed as the suds of the shampoo floated around the water. The washcloth traced my curves, him draining the water. Wrapping me up in a fluffy towel, he carried me to the bed. Drying me off, he twisted my hair into a bun. Clicking on my bra, he slid a black sweat shirt dress over my head. The soft cotton felt nice against my skin, the desire to play with him raging inside of me. This was going to be a rough couple of weeks, chuckles tumbling from his lips.

"I can't believe that I have to wait." I groaned a little too loudly, him tossing me over my shoulder. Scarlet burned my cheeks, him shooting me a goofy grin. Grayson and Latia sat on the couch, waiting for us to watch a movie with us. Buttered popcorn sat next to them, Hudson sitting down. Resting my head on his lap, my hair soaked his black sweatpants. His black t-shirt hugged his broad chest, him playing with a loose piece of hair. Pressing play, a cheesy slasher film played. Those were Latia's favorite types of movie, Grayson rolling his eyes every now and then. Was this how being a family felt? Hudson jumped, a deep scarlet blush rose to my cheeks as he glanced away in shame. Judging by the way cold sweat was dripping off of his brow, he hated horror movies. Maybe, I should pretend to be scared. Lifting me up, he slammed down on his lap. Hiding behind my head with every jump scare, his arms grabbing my waist tightly each time. He was so adorable, my hands cupping mine. His muscles relaxed, his lips brushing the nape of my neck. Shuddering with pleasure, these two weeks couldn't come fast enough.