Chapter Forty-Eight: The Kiss in the Dark Moment

Hudson:

"It's me or her!" My faceless ex demanded venomously, a done up Evie wandering in. "You never talk about me, only her!" Her peach ball gown shimmered, my arms folding across my chest. No one talked about my Evie that way, her fingers playing with the fine Emerald mermaid gown. A bottle of her mother's wine trembled in her hands, the two of them waited with bated breath. The broken look on her face that day alarmed me, fresh bruises covered her skin. Thinking back to how my father treated my mother, it really was best not to prod unless necessary.  The safety of my family depended on it, every cell in my body begging for me to control the situation.  

"I chose her from the moment you opened your damn mouth." I reprimanded her venomously, her eyes narrowing in my direction. "Evie may not be my girlfriend but she is never a harlot like you. I found out you were cheating on me with a human boy at school. Only you would do that." My ex raised her hand, slapping Evie across the face several times. Raising her arms, a snarl curled on her lips.

"Sit the hell down, barbie!" She threatened exhaustively, rubbing her eyes. "I don't have time for this. I have had an especially rough week of endless exams and long hours as the alpha's assistant. He is a major d-" My father entered the room, the bottle smashing to the floor. Scarlet painted the floor, his fist smashing into her jaw. Catching her neck into his palm, he pinned her to the wall. A pin could have been heard, the rest of us standing around in horror.  

"A mouse deserves to live before you, you piece of wasted space." He insulted her coldly, dropping her to the floor. "Slapping makeup on a hideous creature doesn't erase their existence." Struggling to her feet, she spit in his face. Scooping up the broken bottle, she pressed it to his throat. Sticking up her quills, a quiet pride shined in my eyes. No one stood up to my old man, not unless they were begging for the fury flying their way. 

"I am not a filthy little dog that you can order around." She growled through gritted teeth, my father flipping the glass towards her. "Just kill me already like you killed your first wife." His brow cocked, hatred brewed in my eyes. Shooting me a death glare, I stood back as his fist punched her over and over again. Her knee slammed into his groin, a squeak flowing from her lips. Pride glistened in my eyes, his body falling to her knees.

"Get your filthy hands off of me. Sentence me to death but I refuse to let you beat me to a pulp. All you are is a monster." She taunted him boldly, spinning on her heels. Snatching her ankle, her bruised up face smashed against the floor. Rising to his feet, she dangled in the air. An unimpressed expression sent him further into a rage, a person calling for him. Tossing her into the wall, her body flopped around like a rag doll. Laying in a heap, my ex-girlfriend ran off. I could hardly blame her, the sight of seeing my father beat a girl her age would scare anyone. Struggling to her feet, tears stained her cheeks. The broken expression matched my mother's, my fingers wrapping around one of my father's bottles of wine.

"Let's get out of here." I suggested anxiously, unsure of what to do. "I should have st-" Shaking her head, she wiped away her own tears. A timidness washed over her, shame dimming her eyes. Bowing her head towards the floor, a tender blush colored her cheeks the moment I took her hand. Stealing her away to my car, the numb expression frightened me. Sliding into the passenger's seat, her lack of reaction at me clicking her seat belt only concerned me further. Closing the door gently, her wrist grabbed my jacket. The door swung open, teardrops plopping onto her lap.

"Don't tell anyone about this." She pleaded with wet eyes, her lips pressing into a thin line. "My reputation already hangs in the balance." Knowing what she meant, my hand cupped hers. Crouching down to her level, my fingers traced her cheek. Slapping my hand away, a quiet fury burned in her eyes.