Chapter Forty-Nine: A Day Out Cripples the Heart.

Evelyn:

Tugging on my simple black silk dress, the deep v neck line showed off my tender swollen breasts. Hudson had been spending quite a bit of time with Daryll, the loneliness seemed to be getting to me. Little did he know that a strange illness stole my lively nature by the day, the depression only adding an extra serving of pressure. Twisting my hair into a side braid, Grappy skidded in. His fluffy hair bounced around, his black silk dress shirt shimmering in the sunlight bathing the room. Tugging on my boots, he plopped down next to me.

"Do you want to get out of here today? Hudson has granted me permission." He offered sincerely, taking my hand "You seem down. I was thinking we could go to my favorite place. Are you up for a flight? I have a few friends that I want you to meet." A nervous grin twitched on my lips, the outside not feeling too safe. Catching my expression, he rested his head on my shoulder. Honestly, he really was a golden retriever at times. 

"Trust me." He pleaded sweetly, jumping to his feet. "Get on my back and hold on tight." Climbing onto his back, he leapt out the open window. A rush of warm air lashed at my face, his wings unfolding. Curling my legs around my waist, my head rested on his back. Flying higher, a golden portal swirled over our heads. Closing my eyes, ever hotter air lashed at my skin. The air slowed to a stop, a tap on my hands telling me to open my eyes. Dark wood lined the room, thousands of books lining the built-ins. Three fallen angels sat at a sleek gray marble bar, all three of them waving at us. The three of them had long silky onyx hair and glistening ruby eyes, the three of them wearing matching ruby velvet suits.

"You are the one who got my brother married to a vampire, aren't you?" The tallest one at seven feet tall teased playfully, pulling his hair into a ponytail. "I am Shaposo, you can call me Shappy if you wish. These two besides me are Mario and Laproso. He can go by Lappy if that makes it easier. This is our reprieve from our masters, albeit they are far tamer than you. Join us for a drink and a snack." Motioning to a stool at the bar, Grappy set me down. Approaching the bar cautiously, my eyes fell on the wall of mysterious colored liquids. A slow squeak echoed in the air as I sat down, Grappy choosing the seat to my left. The other two played with my hair, examining the dagger dangling from my neck. The shortest one danced around, his hand hovering in front of my face. Curiosity twinkled in my eyes, Grappy clearing his throat several times.  

"Would you quit it, Mario?" Grappy snapped hotly, his eyebrow twitching with irritation. "We don't need to scare her away. I will have you know that my husband is the most wonderful vampire you could meet. Could you get her a chocolate milkshake?" Embarrassment colored my cheeks, my hand shaking his.

"I am Evelyn but if you guys get nicknames I get one. You can call me Evie." I introduced myself clumsily, gazing over at the solemn Lappy. "It is so nice to meet his family. When did you guys fall from Heaven?" A pensive silence stole the room, everyone refusing to look at me. Well, fuck. Bowing my head in shame, my first question had been a bit too forward. Shappy pat the top of my head, sliding over a dark chocolate milkshake.

"We simply didn't want to follow the rules anymore. We left on our own." He explained calmly, his eyes falling Grappy. "This one made a shitty deal and ditched us for the bad guys. We could have cut his head off. At least he is here with us now. Thank you for bringing him back. I heard Gabby is mated to a vampire." Flashing him a bright smile, my first sip sent me to Heaven. Lappy smacked his forehead, his eyes rolling.

"Aren't you overlooking the fact that he brought the Reaper's Angel to our stoop? Isn't she dangerous?" He groaned bitterly, banging his fist on the table. "I can't stand to look at her." His wings unfolded, his temper flaring. Ripping out dual curved sleek onyx blades, my shaking fingers ripped off my dagger. A flash of bright light blinded me, my scythe resting in my palm. Charging at me, our blades clashed violently. Locked in our positions, ice crept underneath my feet. Stomping my boot, a spike of ice knocked him into the wall.