Epilogue: A Stained Happiness

Evelyn:

Five year laters

My twins Deathworth and Goldos' white fluff of hair bounced around, their older brother calling over a shy ruby. Flynn's cheeks flushed a bright red, my real smile never leaving my lips. A large onyx dog padded up to me, his pinstripes on the fur telling that he was my father. Sitting down next to me, his tail began to wag. Mixed emotions poured from my eyes, a red still stained my hands. Did I deserve all of this? I don't know but I might as well enjoy it. Tracing my layered scars, the sheer amount couldn't match my mental ones. Shaking off the depression, he panting stole my attention. 

"I can't help but to think that you are happier in this form." I joked tenderly, patting the top of his head. "Do I deserve any of this? I fought a war where too many lives were lost. Nuit had to start from scratch when every demon but the ones in the village turned to a pile of ash. Did I even do the right thing? Am I a horrible person?"  Deathworth's ruby eyes met mine, his black lips curling into a simple smile, he nudged Goldos. His golden eyes twinkled in my direction, their hands waving up at me. Flynn ran his hand through his hair, his arm curling around the waist of Ruby's frilly violet dress. The freedom in their eyes did little to ease my daily guilt, my father's words stealing me from my mental downward spiral.  

"I think I do. I get to live with you and spend all of my days with my family." He admitted sheepishly, licking my hand. "Look at how happy the kids are. Thank you for everything. Those demons were a necessary cost. He has better demons now and a more peaceful health. Grappy is happily married, and those kids can run without a care in the world.  There is peace all around you. No one but you could have won the war. I have to admit something. Nuit made it so you could still hold everyone. He made it so the council didn't take that away. Don't tell him I told you." Too stunned to speak, my eyes focused on Theros chasing after a vivacious Alucard with his umbrella in his hand. The other adults talked in the shade, chatting with bright smiles. Hudsy embraced me from behind, his crooked grin melting my heart. Holding my slight bump, a wide grin lit up his face. Realizing my surprise, half of my anxiety melted away. Daryll came into view with Pearl by his side, the two of them holding books, his being a programming text book after all. Hudsy deep voice woke me up, his loving gaze meeting my nervous one. 

"Evie, you sexy little minx. We are having another one." He exclaimed proudly, Aly crying out behind me. Hugging me from my side, a twelve year old Aly never looked more at home. Stepping back, she adjusted her yellow plaid dress, her hands cupping mine. Flashing her real smile, she was a couple of years from graduating from high school. Pride glistened in my eyes, several Marine biologists still lining her bedroom wall. Her hugs were like a cozy evening in autumn, the sound of leaves crunching underneath your boots reminiscent of her. So much of Devin's personality showed in her actions, a fresh set of tears welling up in my eyes. Wiping away my tears, her kindness matched mine.  Laughing softly, her hair bounced up and down slightly with each laugh. 

"Everyone is waiting for you." She said simply, taking me downstairs. My father padded after me, the Horsemen waiting for me in their usual robes. Hugging me warmly, they gave me their reports. Setting them down on the nearby table, I guided them outside. Mingling with the other gem holders, their leather gloves glistened in the afternoon sunshine.  Theros smashed into me, his chest puffing up and down. Letting me go, he leaned on my shoulders. Grappy cleared his throat, the rivalry still rather strong. Draping my arms over them both, the minor squabble fizzled away. Both of them would always be my brothers, no matter what. Happy to have them in my life, it was like my family was surrounding me. Hell, they all had their own place again, taking up residency in the empty A-frames.  Bloodsworths waved at me from the darkest shadow, Grappy winking in his direction. Shaking off a bit more of my anxiety, the love for them was evident.  A rush of hot air woke me up, Nuit showing up in a rich velvet suit. Shoving them both off of me, he spun me around. A tender blush rose to my cheeks, his crooked grin oozing pure joy. My third brother had shown up, jealousy burned in their eyes. Struggling to find the words, he looked absolutely adorable right now.