Chapter 3 - Corny romance? Hah! I have water!

Chapter 3 – Corny romance? Hah! I have water!

In all the romance stories (at least the ones most people read), there is the desirable person, who finally meets someone immune to their charm (or who at least seems to be, even though we all know they are just really good at hiding it) and thus become obsessed with making that person either recognize them for the hottie they are, or just enjoy messing with their feelings, when in the end, either way, they fall in love.

Pathetic, right?

Yet, as I stared at that door, for the first time in my life I felt an uncomfortable foreboding. From what they had said, this situation could definitely fit into that corny romantic category, and some part of me half expected it as I pushed the double-doors open.

I…

…Is this what they call a blank mind?

When my eyes finally adjusted to the unrealistic blinding white light characteristic of moments of suspense in movies, my heart started to beat just a bit, just a tiny bit, faster.

As I approached the boy with less confidence than normal, pace still steady, yet slow, I saw the sweat slowly trickling down the lean muscles, the blood dripped bandages blast forward wrapped around the lean, yet strong arms that punched them.

Bang!

Another straw figurine blasted to the ground, broken, dripping with a blood it could not bleed. The chest of the boy heaved with each strained, heavy breath. I watched every second of it, as if in slow motion as I walked. I was strangely conscious.

…Maybe it’s not so bad if I end up in a corny romance if it’s with that.

I already half expected it as I got nearer, as I mustered the strength to speak, “Excuse me…?”

The boy turned, droplets of sweat swooshing with the golden-brown locks. My heart beat just a little, really a little, bit faster that before as his face started to reveal itself.

…He is…actually cute…?

Just as my heart was about to beat even a bit faster, I experienced as someone else’s heart stopped.

The boy stood, stock still, mouth wide, whole body turned to stone as his eyes lay upon me.

…Well, at least it’s a different reaction? I felt a bit helpless.

Then, his heart suddenly started to melt, and his eyes were replaced by cute pink hearts. I could almost see a tail wagging behind him as he transformed from a cool hottie to a pathetic lover-boy.

“…”

“E-Eli?! Where are you going? What about-?” Felly stuttered, stuck to the entrance of the hall, hands held closely to her chest. She looked at me with the wide, horror-stricken eyes of a puppy.

They both had not dared to go further than the door, peeking in to see what was going on inside. When they noticed my sudden turn and quick retreat towards the outside, where hopefully idiots didn’t roam, Felly couldn’t help but interrupt my escape in shock.

“Huh?!” I snapped, rather irritated.

She flinched in response. Then realizing what she meant, I added hastily without turning back, “Hey, Lover-boy! Ten o’clock in front of the thirteenth building! Understood?”

“Yes, my love! Anything!” He answered immediately, too excited to seem normal, tail wagging. His eye-hearts beat rapidly in tune to his actual heart.

“…”

I proceeded to walk even faster, scared of looking back. It finally materialized, that tail. I couldn’t help the shiver that ran down my spine.

“That’s Eli for you,” Angie said with a soft chuckle in the way one resigned to his fate does.

Felly could only stare into space (where I had been) wide-eyed, with me already walking down the halls and away.

…He’s just like the rest, after all.

Let me tell you, there are no such sappy romances in real life! So don’t even dare to dream of them happening, ‘cause it’s a waste of time! Do you hear me?!

Anyway, that was the lesson learned as I walked along the empty hallway of the fourth floor, switching between coughing and sipping my water. Water is the best! No questions asked.