Chapter 5 - Welcome to your funeral!

Chapter 5 – A stone path, a horror movie setting, a group of adventurers, and a flower in the moonlight – Welcome to your funeral!

The time of the adventure came. Just as it should be in any horror story, the sky had grown darker than black, pale shadows of clouds blocking most of the light, the remaining casting off but an eerie glow. The once white stones creating the path towards the thirteenth building could barely be seen, once or twice a stumbled shadow joining in its darkness.

“Eh…? Ellie, where did your escort…?” Felly began uncertainly.

“Who cares? Ten seconds are up. Next!”

The empty space once filled by the mysteriously disappeared escort was filled in a flash by a more than willing and excited one. Behind us, the uneven terrain of the white stoned path had eerily become even more unleveled, lumps creeping up, almost like a mountainous path.

By my other side, Angie was intently paying attention to our surroundings, gaze piercing into the darkness. Her head would suddenly turn at the slightest sound. Looking into a shadow up ahead made up by a bush, she deeply furrowed her eyebrows. Then, noticing slight movement, jumped suddenly, pointing.

“Hah! There! I got you!”

However, the bush remained still and everything was quiet save for our steady footsteps. Remaining confident, she did not move her gaze as she smirked.

“I know you will come out from-”

“Next!” I suddenly yelled.

The mysteriously empty space behind me was soon filled by yet another escort, a boy of the warrior class who had paid me up-front earlier.

Snapping her head, Angie stood with her mouth wide, stammering, struggling to find words, but failing. She could only settle for a wide-eyed, empty look. Her mind became so blank that even though she was staring at him the entire time, she could not notice how this escort had disappeared too. Meanwhile, more lumps unleveled the terrain of the path behind us…

“Next!”

The empty space was filled in a flash, but not before a slight rustling could be heard. Angie woke from her daze after two seconds, pointing a trembling finger at the boy as she stammered, “You, you, you! I knew it! I saw it! You were hiding there, weren’t you?! You saw that, right Ellie?!”

“…Just what are you doing?”

Felyn’s voice came from behind with an annoyed tone.

“Huh? What, you ask? Don’t you wonder how even though Ellie only allows the escorts to walk with us when it is their appointed time, how do they appear exactly on time every ten seconds?”

Angie was still wide eyed, sounding incredulous, as if it was impossible not to worry about this incredible mystery of nature.

“Or how they just suddenly disappear before the time is up…”

Felly glanced back with a slightly scared look.

“…Is that really all you guys have a problem with?”

It was Felyn’s turn to sound incredulous, as if speaking to ignorant children who were beyond helpless.

“How does she even know when the ten seconds are up…?”

I suddenly snapped by head, facing Felyn with a sharp look, “My sense of time is perfect!”

“…You’re too serious.”

“Next!”

The space was filled once more.

“…”

When my foot was one step away from the door leading into the thirteenth building, I suddenly felt a rush of wind beside me. My hair flew in my face, and amidst the golden strings, I noticed a shadow flying away in the air. Once my hair settled down, I saw as an even taller shadow stand up-straight, towering beside me, replacing the previous escort.

“You’re 1.8 seconds too early.”

With a foot still elevated in the air, I glared at the boy beside me. He had obviously sent the previous escort flying.

“And I’m telling you, you are too serious.”

Felyn’s annoyed voice flitted from behind.

I ignored it.

“…”

I had to tilt my neck up, and even though we were close, I couldn’t make out his face in the darkness because of the height. Face covered in shadows, I saw as he slowly tilted his face down. Even like this, you could tell his bone-structure was perfect.

Just when a cloud moved slightly in the sky, letting a glimmer of light slither down and glint over his golden-brown hair, sparkling, my face must have lighted up too…because any fast beating of my heart was immediately stopped by…

He’s drooling…

Quickly swiveling my head to face the front and away from the speedily pumping pink-heart eyes, I felt a shiver go up my spine. I quickly regretted letting him come.

“1, 8 seconds too early…” I spoke stiffly.

“Really, how do you even know that?”

“How can you not know? Just feel the sun!”

I suddenly snapped, the creepy feeling at the back of my head from his staring sending shivers up and down my arms. Still, I refused to look back, and glared steadily ahead at Felyn. I couldn’t believe my heart had beat even a bit, even a tiny bit faster. It was the shadows’ fault.

“…It’s night though?” Fellie asked uncertainly with a weak voice, before Angie gently shushed her and shook her head.

“Hm? Well, don’t you know there is always sunlight? It’s reflected from the moon. It’s faint, but if you pay enough attention, you can feel the light particles dancing across your skin…and then you pay attention to the direction and…”

I went on, before noticing that Fellie was looking at me with wide eyes of wonder. She didn’t get a word I said. No one else was listening.

How can you fix your nails in this situation?! I internally yelled at Felyn, but forced myself to calm down.

Clearing my throat, I ended up creating a chained effect that resulted in a coughing fit.

Ezekiel started panicking, looking like a giant kid, while Angie just dismissed him with the wave of a hand.

Drinking from my favorite bamboo cup, gulping down the cold, fresh water from the straw, I finally regained my cool.

“Alright, let’s go!”

Facing the three meter tall, gothic styled double doors, acting as if nothing happened, I placed my hands on my waist and exclaimed excitedly.

“…Why does this building feel more like a cemetery? It’s the only different one…I’ll never get this school.”

Angie shook her head with a helpless look, and Felly nodded at her side, fingers clutching her sleeve in fear.

Well, it was the perfect setting. And we would all come to know exactly why that building felt like it came directly out of a horror movie….that night.