Chapter 44 - Mirror, mirror, on the wall, am I fairer than a goddess, after all?

Chapter 44 – Mirror, mirror, on the wall, am I fairer than a goddess, after all?

The ground crunched under my feet as I walked in the pitch-black cave – the night-vision spell the only thing preventing me from bumping around aimlessly. It's so strange...It's so dark, yet so clear at the same time, as if sharply drawn with a black pen.

Suddenly, hints of light began to appear, becoming brighter the further into the cave I went. It was as though I were heading towards the outside, rather than the inside...

But, that was not true. My companions had been the ones left behind on the outside, as I insisted on doing this alone. Ezekiel, especially, seemed hesitant. However, when I sharply asked with narrowed eyes, "You don't trust my strength?" he had backed down like an obedient dog. Even Edward had miraculously seemed to have forgotten we were supposed to be competitors, and sent me off with a wave, a brightly sparkling smile, and a wish of good luck.

Finally, I stepped into the light. This wide space of the cave felt as if one were on the outside, a miniature version of the sun shining brightly overhead. And if one looked directly under it...shining brightly, glinting and sparkling under the fake sun rays, the golden sword stood majestically, while...stuck in a crude stone! ...So, that ruse was actually based on some truth!

Frozen for a moment at the oddly familiar scene, I quickly shook my head to erase such thoughts. With a determined, yet expectant expression, I began to move forward, towards my goal...It was just within my-

"Huh?"

Feeling something oddly soft under my foot, I looked down. I pressed my foot deeper down, then up, then down...So soft...

"I completely forgot about you!" I screamed at the girl lying unconscious under my foot.

Quickly stepping back, I stopped to observe her. Even though I had been anything but quiet, she was still quietly snoring away...Why do I really want to hit her?I couldn't help but think. It felt so good stepping on her just now...Heheh...Realizing I had a stupidly happy expression on, and was slightly drooling, I quickly shook away the thoughts and gazed at her with a weird expression and wide eyes. What an odd power she has!

Then, I suddenly noticed the oddly glowing, golden fluid that slowly flowed towards her, like a thin river...Looking towards the source, I saw the sword. Ah, so that's why she is still alive, even though I saw her have a deadly fall in my vision...That also explains the pool of blood near her head. The sword has been healing her all this time, waiting for her to wake up and take it...But...A wide, delightful grin "lightened" my features, and I began to laugh to myself.

"You will not acquire the sword, stupid frog."

*

The frog girl grumbled weakly, still half-asleep. She went to rub her drowsy eyes, still shut tight, when she noticed an odd sensation. Why was her head feeling such comfort, such softness, such warmth?! Her eyes flew open immediately.

What she saw, caused her jaw to drop and her bleak black eyes to sparkle. With my best, most elegant, lady-like and beautiful smile, I stared down at her with softened green eyes as I used a hand to hold my golden locks away from my face.

"You're finally awake..."

She quickly got up from my lap and scrambled away, eyes swirling in her head, dizzy and confused, "Wha-wha-wha..." No discernable words escaped her lips.

Still kneeling on the ground, I tilted my head, "You were asleep for a long time, and heavily injured as well. It's lucky I happened to find you and was able to heal your injuries."