Chapter 18 - When a Demon Lord meets a knight in shining armor

Chapter 18 – When a Demon Lord meets a knight in shining armor

“When the knight saw the hideous being, he knew in his heart that he had to stop it no matter what. He might have lost once, twice…he lost time and time again, but he never gave up on his quest to end the horrible demon. It was his duty as a knight to eradicate evil and deliver judgment, but the Demon Lord simply laughed in his face.”

Excerpt from Collected Legends of the Great Demon Lord

The golden knight burst into the store, pulling out his golden sword and pointing it at the terrible thief. With a righteous and noble tone, he cried out, “Hey! Just what do you think you are doing?! Stealing is wrong, you know?”

However, when the ‘thief’ turned to face him, the knight’s stern expression could not manage to stay upon his face. Faltering, his expression began to melt, his sharp sword-like eyes slowly widening into a wavering azure ocean.

A lock of silvery white hair fell smoothly in a long wave across her pale porcelain skin, and the glassy wide eyes that stared into his own were a green that seemed to sparkle yellow from within.  Even though the expression those delicate features showed him were emotionless, yet slightly cold, he couldn’t help but feel amazed in his heart.

The once stern and righteous expression had turned into a mesmerized and admiring one, as the knight’s eyes shined ever so brightly and his face broke out into a huge grin. There was only one word to express his current state of mind – blissful.

Looking at the golden knight with sparkles practically glinting around him, and flowers popping out in the background, I couldn’t help the dark sinking of my heart. For some reason, I feel like I have met another idiot. At least… Seeing as he had not become disgusting or had his eyes turn into hearts upon seeing me, I at least felt a bit relieved. …He doesn’t look like a dog. In fact…why does he still look so good?! Stop sparkling so much, dammit!

“Ah, forgive me, my poor maiden! How could I have mistaken such a jewel for a thief? This Edward deeply regrets his actions.”

Raising an arm, he put on a deeply sorrowful and dramatic expression as he began speaking, and then kneeled down in front of me with a hand over his heart as if to show his remorse. Then, his eyes glinted as his head snapped up to glare sharply at the shop clerk who had momentarily stopped his work of money gathering, but had been smart enough to quickly start again.

“Quick! It is rude to make a lady wait, you know?”

He reprimanded the man sharply. In response, the clerk could only let tears stream down his face as he worked even faster and cried, “Y-Yes!”

In fact, he acted so fast in his moment of desperation that the big task was quickly done in three seconds, and he delivered the sack to the outstretched hand Edward offered him. Edward nodded his head contently as he received it, “Yes, well done.”

Everything he did had that superiority and nobility of a true knight, even a hint of arrogance. With that way of carrying himself, he presented me with the sack courteously by kneeling before me once more, “Here, my lady. I am sorry you had to wait so long.”

When I took the sack and looked down at him, his expression immediately changed from the cold courteous one, to a shining one as sparkles appeared all around him and a stupid grin graced his lips, “Hehe…”

…Is that drool? Then…why does he still look so good?!

“Ah, who would have thought that such a lovely flower would have appeared in such a dreary city? I am truly too lucky to have been able to grace my eyes upon such beauty…Please, tell me your name, oh beautiful one!”