Chapter 39 - A terrifying, thieving, dark Familiar fit for a Demon Lord

Chapter 39 – A terrifying, thieving, dark Familiar fit for a Demon Lord

A now human Falk-sensei cleared his throat, as if that would erase the previous events. Acting cool as he leaned back on a desk with crossed arms, he asked, "So, I heard you are participating in the inter-student magical competition. Are you at all prepared? Did you know that most strong contestants usually have prepared a Familiar Animal? Do you have one?"

There was a hint of curiosity in his face as he asked the last question, leaning slightly closer. I smiled, "Don't worry. I have already obtained an informant from the newspaper club. He has filled me in on the details already."

"Oh? Then...I think I know who you are talking about. Hoho..."

With a confident chuckle, Falk-sensei pushed his glasses up. Behind the spectacles, his eyes glinted as he looked up to meet mine.

"It's Riez-kun, right?"

"Oh, how did you know?"

"Hoho...I had him as a student in the beginning, that Riez-kun. He looks pure and innocent but is a really hard worker...He was the last one left, in the end, trying to obtain psychic powers. However, even he had to give up..."

Falk-sensei sighed at the memory, before continuing, "There is no way he gave up on becoming stronger. He is, after all..."

"A shrewd businessman! Right?"

As I finished Falk-sensei's thought, he froze mid-sentence. Then, he smirked.

"I see, so you saw it too. That underlying cunning."

I nodded fervently in response, "That's right! That little...he even used me for profits..."

My mouth began twitching in annoyance as I recalled the memory.

"So? What did he ask in return?"

A sudden memory popped into my mind. Breath coming out an exhausted, desperate pant, arm outstretched and reaching, sweat dripping, eyes tearful and begging... The mouth that opened, only a rough husk coming out, not enough power behind it to form proper words...

A smile graced my lips as I reveled in it, "Don't worry, I already paid him back in full in training."

"Pw...ea...se..."

The sound of his begging whisper caressed my ears as the memory played in my mind. Content, I closed my eyes and shivered, before laughing in delight.

When it passed, and I looked up at Falk-sensei, he was already far away. Glued to the wall opposite me, back to the board, he looked at me with fear clear in his eyes even as he tried to hide it from his features.

"J-Just what did you do to him?"

I smiled brightly, "Nothing he didn't ask for."

"No, such a response is even more frightening...please, stop smiling..."

"If that's what you want!"

Shrugging my shoulders, I let the smile slide off my face as I lazily leaned my chin on my hand, bored.

Collecting his cool once more, Falk-sensei cleared his throat, "So? You didn't answer my question. Have you obtained a Familiar?"

"Hm? That? Well, I didn't really have to obtain anything, since I already have something that will do just fine."

"Oh? What's that?"

Any sign of fear wiped clean from his face, his eyes shined with pure curiosity as he quickly appeared before me.