B3: Chapter 8 - Uncovering a dark plot (2)

The Legend of the Flower Demon Lord

BOOK THREE

Chapter 8 – A Demon Lord's unexpected task: Uncovering a dark plot (2)

John Banks had a gentle smile on his face as walked around, tenderly watching the happy citizens all around him with a feeling that could only be described as contentment. There were children – all healthy, clean and well fed – playing around with happily licking dogs and filling the air with laughter.

They ran around with wide smiles, and politely apologized if they bumped into an elderly grandmother. Then, as young outstanding citizens, they would help that old lady carry her groceries, the goodness and gratitude evident in the wrinkles that pulled at the old lady's eyes.

There were excitedly yelling street stall owners, happily trying to sell their wares, and curious passerby stopping by to potentially shop. Happiness was evident on everyone's faces, with no sign of discontentment. It was a truly peaceful and well managed country – one John was thankful for.

He was thankful they had saved a random soldier like him, who had literally appeared out of thin air with grave injuries.

He was thankful for the fact that they allowed him to stay, just one more "pitiful unsavable" soldier as they informed his home country. Just one more among the many who "died" on that terrible day.

They could just believe he had died in the war. Who cared? His country, which had been filled with nothing but greed when they sent him – would they? Of course not. Who would be affected by one more body count in that terrible war? Who would be affected by his fake "death?" No one. That's why many did the same as him, and currently remained within this peaceful country. It was good for everyone.

"Atchu!"

"Hm? Are you okay, princess? Have you caught a cold?" The hero Tristan suddenly looked extremely worried, examining Ellie all over as if for injuries, even though he just mentioned a cold.

Ellie quickly brushed him off, "What are you talking about?" Then, she looked up at him with an extremely serious expression, "Even though I am a frail being always on the verge of death, I have never once in my life caught something as insignificant as a cold. Someone is obviously badmouthing me."

She said something extremely crazy with such a serious expression, Tristan didn't know if he were allowed to laugh or even cry. A hand went up to his mouth as he held himself back, "Pfft."

"What is it?" Her silver locks cascaded to the side as she innocently tilted her head, obviously not understanding his actions.

Tristan chuckled with an expression that clearly said "Aaah, took cute," and patted her head with a gentle smile as he replied, "Nothing."

Ellie eyed him like a crazy person and looked away as if he would infect her, "Weird."

...Anyway, back to badmouthing soldier John, one of Ellie's many "victims."
When comparing his old country to this one, there really was no comparison. The nobility cared for nothing but their own pockets, and the citizens starved in an economically stagnant society. He had such thoughts as he walked the street, completely unaware of the consequences of his actions.

Every time he saw a smile on a fellow citizen's face, for he was now a citizen of this country too, he would be filled with happiness himself. He would again feel grateful for this opportunity life had given him. He decided to protect the smiles on their faces, having joined this country's military, and every day he patrolled the streets with a light heart.

He greeted the soldier at the church's entrance, as cheerfully as ever, and the bright lights of the sunny day behind him slowly vanished as he walked further down into the deep darkness. Only the sparse torches adorning the stone walls provided some light, preventing him from stumbling in the dark. With the confident steps of someone who has done this many times before, he ventures further and further down, deeper and deeper into the darkness...