Chapter 45 - What am I? Giving in to one's nature

Chapter 45 – What am I? Giving in to one's nature: Rebirth

Golden light and fiery black danced across the sky – clashing, evading, flying, and finally, destroying...The ground was blackened in some areas, burnt in others, the only similarity being how equally both areas had been utterly destroyed and caved in, taking away the natural landscape and leaving an area of utter chaos and desolation.

"How long have they been at it now?"

"Two weeks..."

"Aren't they tired yet?"

"You know, we always talk about how Ellie doesn't eat, but I still figured she did it in private. Now, though..."

My companions had acquired an area at a safe enough distance, setting up camp and going on with their lives as they waited for the fight to end. At the moment, they were sitting around lazily, and as Magnus said this, all their eyes flittered to find me amongst the raging chaos...

"Water!"

After evading a blast of light, I held out a hand and called out, commanding, yet with a slight hint of desperation as my chest heaved with panting breathe.

As if prepared, Ezekiel threw the bamboo bottle, his accuracy perfect even from this distance, calling out, "Here!" Catching it in the nick of time, I jumped to avoid another blast, taking a large sip as I threw my own blast of the dark element at the goddess before me. More and more, the land began to change – cracking, deforming, caving in...

Felly giggled, "Of course Ellie doesn't eat!"

"Right~!" Angie agreed playfully.

"No, that's not normal, right?! It's been two weeks, you know?! She hasn't eaten a single thing, hasn't even slept, and is just fighting there, like a monster! That's definitely not normal!"

Felly tilted her head cutely, confusion written all over her features, "But, the goddess is in the same situation too? Except she hasn't even drank a drop of water."

"She's a goddess, though?!" Magnus retorted, exasperated.

The goddess before me had an unsettled expression on her face, and seemed to be panting even harder than me, "Hey, that's right...How are you keeping up? That's definitely not normal! How can a human not eat or sleep?!"

I smiled brightly and answered matter-of-factly, "That's because I only need sunlight and water!"

"Definitely not normal!" The goddess screamed, full of exasperation, as she threw another large attack of the light element my way.

Humming happily, I easily evaded even as I continued to drink down the cool liquid from the bamboo straw. With a refreshing, "Aaah!" I took it away from my lips, and threw it back towards Ezekiel, "Catch!" Without even looking, he easily caught it and began to fill it, creating a stock of bamboo water bottles ready for my consumption.

"Hey, are you two really okay with letting her fight against a goddess on her own? It's a goddess, you know? Don't you need to help?" With a skeptical expression and twitching face, Magnus looked at Ezekiel and then Edward, questioning.

Ezekiel gave a deep, manly chuckle, shaking his head as if at an ignorant child, "How could I interfere? This is Ellie's battle. Besides, Ellie isn't the kind of weak damsel in distress that needs saving. If she did need me, of course I would help. But, for now...all I can do is quietly support her like this." He gazed at the bamboo bottles before him with a slight smile. Various emotions danced in his eyes, yet they were still determined.

Magnus snapped his head towards Edward, having given up on this one. Edward gave a bright, knowing smile in return, "I don't know what you are expecting of me, but I have no plans to help my angel either. This is her wish. Besides, I believe in her!" His smile was blinding now.