20: The Haze

"Some old wounds never truly heal, and bleed again at the slightest word."

― George R.R. Martin, A Game of Thrones

Marienne's POV:

She asked Ardent to fuck her!

Kill

Kill

Kill

Revenge...

Thousands of voice whispered in my ear, like a persistent tempo, like an annoying epiphany.

They were urging me to do something I shouldn't do.

They were urging me to defile her. Break her even more.

Until the only thing that remained was the shell of her soul.

I needed to take my medications dammit!

I gritted my teeth, swallowing the voice of my agony as I passed the door of the store room.

She needs to be punished!

Go inside! Punish her like she deserves!

I was afraid, if I really went inside, I had a feeling that would end up doing something I would regret heavily.

I was cruel, when it came to my heart, it was as good as non existent.

The damn organ only beat for Madeline.

And she took it away with her.

I took slow heavy breaths as I tried to calm myself down.

I still had a bit of sanity left in me.

I couldn't let the darkest side of me take control.

Heavy sweat marred my skin as thousands of voices echoed through the labyrinth of my head. It was like boulder sitting in my head, too heavy, too distracting.....

Roseline asked that man to fuck Madeline!

Show her who has the control....

You should fu-

"No!" I screamed, clutching my ears, trying to shun the voices- a retch broke through me, just even at the thought of it.

I couldn't....

I am a man of morals.

And I couldn't do that.

"Monsieur!" A red headed woman ran to me, a tray full of foods clutched in her hands, "Are you okay?!"

Do I look fucking okay?

The chandelier lights seemed to dim as I clutched my head, my eyes trying to adjust themselves as I tried to fight the puddle of darkness that seemed to seep within me.

The eunoia of the brusque haggle that raged in my mind got louder and louder.

The mirage of myself blended in me as I clutched the railing of the first story.

"Monsieur..." The redhead breathed, "You should rest, allow me to assist you-"

"SHUT THE FUCK UP!" I bellowed and gripped the railing, trying to drag my feet that weighted like thousands of boulder to my room.

GO TO HER!

What are you doing?!

GO TO HER!

They hissed.

They urged.

The commanded.

The monsters in my head- other times, their voices were my commandments, but, this time-