58: Our Broken Pieces

This is a very light chapter, please tell me if you wish to see more like these.

"A person is, among all else, a material thing, easily torn and not easily mended."

- Ian McEwan (Atonement)

Rose's POV:

As young kids, we had been told that monsters live in forests. Monsters live in abandoned, in dark, in dreary as they feed off innocent, pure humans.

But I knew they were lies, because true monsters live in our minds. Inside us. We all have a monstrous side. Humans were the true monsters.

Some could control it and some couldn't.

The truest and the deadliest ones were the ones who were aware of their sins. The ones who didn't repent.

I was living with a monster and bearing our child- but I knew....

Deep down....

He wasn't the monster the world had made him out to be..... I had no idea why I thought like that.

Warm.

Fluffy.

I groaned, my leaden limbs refusing to obey the commands of my brain. They were relaxed, well rested- judging from their heaviness; I could tell my body wanted more rest.

I clicked my tongue in my mouth, trying to break through my sleep barrier and concentrating on coming back to earth from my sleepy land. I turned at my side, my eyes refusing to open.

Should I sleep a bit more?

I am pregnant anyway, so I get a pass.

"I know you are awake..." A voice rasped, making me groan for the second time, "Wake up."

"Lemme sleep..." I mumbled as I pressed my face into the soft and warm pillow.

This smells nice. So good.

I want to eat it.

I felt a hand on the back of my head, stroking my hair gently. I sighed as I tried to get back to sleep.

"Rose?"

"Hmp?"

"Wake up."

I stretched my arms, a yawn escaping me. It was a good night's rest and the best thing about it was I didn't have any nightmares today.

Maybe my mind was way too exhausted too conjure up the goriest side of my subconscious mind, to summon the monsters that lived in me in the form of memories or maybe it was too relaxed.

I blinked my eyes open, squinting as the sunlight hit me. It had to be around 8.

"Slept well?" The bed shifted beside me as I felt a presence in my right side.

I rubbed my eyes harshly, hoping to get the sleep off as I turned to the source of the voice. Marienne sat at the very right, staring at me wordlessly. He wore a loose white shirt, the top three buttons were unbuttoned, allowing me to feast on his gorgeous olive toned skin, his tattoos peeked from underneath it briefly.

Sipping a cup of piping hot tea as he observed me, Marienne leaned on to the bed post. He sat at a respectable distance, much to my relief.

I felt my baby stirring in my belly. Maybe, he too, was waking up.

"What's the time?" I mumbled as I sneaked my hand under my pillow.

"Quarter past eight..." He mumbled as he took another sip from the aristocrat looking cup, "I want to take you somewhere."