75: Suspicion

"If you are still breathing, you have a second chance."

-Oprah Winfrey

Rose's POV:

His eyes shone like an elegiac ocean full of melancholy, they held so much pain- so much helplessness.

Why was he in pain?

It made my heart twitch in eldritch, I felt anguished for some reason.

"Rose..." He mumbled, disbelievingly- widening his eyes like as if I was a mirage that would disappear if he blinked.

I smiled, hoping it would ease him.

Maybe he was having another flashback, or maybe the piano reminded him of Madeline....

I wanted to sigh- the poor guy was probably still not over her.

A rush of anger engulfed me as I was reminded of how she cheated on him.

But she was probably as miserable as I felt.

He had been acting really weird since we came back from the park. He didn't talk once after giving me that Rose, nor did he meet my eyes.

He didn't utter a single word through the drive back. It was extremely uncomfortable for me. When I asked him to turn on the radio, he only did it in silence.

When we reached the manor, I asked him to have dinner with us- but he only hastily replied, "I am not hungry. Take your medicines." averting his gaze.

Even when I asked him to join our conversation back in lobby- I didn't want him to feel lonely anymore- it was like he was avoiding me.

But why would he avoid me? The mere thought of it made my stomach flutter.

What was the beast up to?

He stared at me, his gaze writing thousands of words all at once, it was harder for me decipher the language of his eyes.

His eyes shone under the yellowish hue of the chandelier light- for the first time my gaze landed on the tear drop that escaped his eyes. It shone beautifully under the charming luminescence.

He was crying.

A while ago, when his piano cried out throughout the manor, everything became silent. Not a clattering of spoon was heard as Marienne tortured the piano and made it express his pain.

The music was mellifluous- he made it like it was palpable. It was like a magnetic siren, beckoning me closer.

Before I knew, I was heading up to the second floor- almost in a daze. The hypnotic tempo of the music pulled me in, compelling me to visit the pianist.

Needless to say, I was enamored by the silhouette of the man playing the piano in master strokes. He pressed the keys with such precision- like he knew it like the back of his hand even though his eyes were closed. He knew where they were exactly.

His fingers worked fast, by time, it got more violent- as if he wanted to pour his pain into that instrument, as if he wanted that instrument to understand him.

That was the moment I realized, he became one with the piano- he was letting the rhythm speak for him.

I was stoned in my position as I took him in with mist filled eyes. The cool air from the air condition hitting my shivering body didn't matter, Mama and Calissa calling me out didn't matter- nor did the thunder strikes that summoned imminent rain.

It was like I had detached from the world, that was how powerful he looked.

"Rose..." He repeated again, "H-How long have you been-"