39: Sirenic

"I am no bird; and no net ensnares me: I am a free human being with an independent will."

― Charlotte Brontë, Jane Eyre

This is a sneak peek. Buckle up.

September, 2019.

Madeline Quarsiekiev's POV:

I walked faster down the mart as I tried to impede my pink satin dress from flying up. Today was particularly windy, it would be wise if I walked back home sooner.

There was another reason too.

Have you ever felt the odd feeling of someone watching you like a hawk? That chilly, unnerving, thwarting feeling?

That was what I had been feeling lately. Since this morning to be exact.

A shiver ran down my spine as I felt someone's eyes weighting down on my back.

What the hell?

Snapping my head back, I glared at the empty street. There was no one.

An odd, eerie feeling crept up inside me as I tried to walk faster. I was walking fast anyway, any faster and I would end up running.

And then, I felt someone's footsteps echoing in the streets.

Oh no!

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. And then, I began to run.

The footsteps began to run along with me.

Oh no this is bad! What if this person kidnaps me?! What would happen to Marienne?!

He has no one else.....

I let out a scream as I felt the echoes of the intruder's footsteps aligning with my own.

No! It was going to catch up to me!

Beads of sweat formed over my forehead as my lungs began to burn in protest.

"Hey miss!" I opened my eyes and glanced sideways to see the guy from the last week running along with me.

"WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE?!"

"UH- RUNNING?"

"WHY ARE YOU RUNNING WITH ME?!"

"I DON'T KNOW WHY ARE YOU RUNNING?! WHY ARE WE YELLING?!"

"I AM RUNNING TO SAVE MY LI- WAIT A MINUTE!"

I began to slow my pace and came to a comical halt as the guy did the same. He had a frown etched on his forehead as he was panting.

I crossed my arms over my chest as I glared at him. "It was you!"

He copied me, crossing his arms over his chest in the same manner, "It was me!"

I huffed as I began to walk forward, not really paying mind to him. I had to reach home soon, Marienne was waiting for me.

"Wait! Where are you going?"

"Home," I replied drily, not looking at him, "Unlike you, some of us has to go home and tend to stuffs."

"Who said I don't have a home?" He was walking beside me now, his arms crossed over his chest in the same manner.

"Would you just leave? I don't have time for you..." I shooed him away, but he seemed too stubborn to listen.

"Listen- WOULD YOU LISTEN FOR A BIT?! STOP WALKING AWAY!"

I stopped and turned to look at him. He had a look of annoyance plastered over his face, but a small glint in his eyes told me he was enjoying it.

"What?" I spat out, my heart thumping loudly from all the vigorous activities done previously.