62.1: The Doubts

"There ain't no sin and there ain't no virtue. There's just stuff people do."

— John Steinbeck (The Grapes of Wrath)

Rose's POV:

Friscalating sun's ray poured through the blurred window as it lit up the spacious bathroom in a comely glow.

A sigh of content escaped me as I shifted in the warm bath, taking in a deep breath to savor the vanilla scent that wafted around the bathroom. It had been quite a while since I emerged myself in here, but the tub was self-heating so it was okay for me to waste my time.

The warm vapor of the lukewarm bath water made me luxuriate in the moment a little bit more. It was like a piping hot cup of tea- every bit of it was meant to be enjoyed and it's remnant was meant to be enjoyed like a beautiful trice.

Two days had passed by since that night.

Throughout these two days, I didn't have a single sight nor an inkling of Marienne. It seemed as if he had vanished into thin air- just like that.

The next morning, it had dawned upon me that how unjust and rude had I been in my behavior. But then again, he kissed me without my consent so he couldn't protest even if I hit him the balls.

I wished to talk to him and come back on friendlier terms with him, but he never appeared or showed himself. Yesterday, I even approached Lindy who didn't seem to like me. She only answered by- "He never tells me where he goes."

The fact that he wasn't home for two days then was known to me. I remember being shocked at the revelation and Lindy's unbothered face only added to that.

However, Mama Cassedy and Calissa were to visit me today. That was the sole reason why I had been sitting in the bathtub for two hours, I didn't wish to deal with their questions.

The pain in my spine got acuter as the days went by. My next appointment was tomorrow and it couldn't come sooner. Marienne had actually offered his company for the next visit- but I had denied it politely as I had some privacy concerns. Still, I had this gut feeling that he would show up.

A loud knock echoed in the large room, startling me. I sat straight and brought the bubbles closer to me so that they covered my naked body. Vociferating a small "Come in", I leaned back.

The glass door opened as a maid came in. She bowed to me slightly, although I was unsure why was she bowing at me.

"Your mother and your sister has notified you of their visit, mam. They are chatting with Madame Lindy. Your sister dem-"

"WHERE IS SHE HIDING?!"

I flinched as the voice resonated through my bedroom. The maid gave me an apologetic look and I smiled at her reassuringly in return- knowing that if Calissa had her mind set on anything, no one, I mean no one could stop her.

"ROSEL!!! COME OUT!!" She hollered as she let herself in the bathroom. She let her gaze roam around, a huge smile plastered on her face. I noticed that she had gotten a bit bulkier.

As her gaze fell upon me, her obnoxious smile got ever bigger. She happily ran to me, bumping slightly into the maid in the process, which made the petite red head woman stumble.

"Rosel! Look at you! All comfy and taking a bath! It smells nice in here..... should I join you?"

I noticed the maid squirming through the corner of my eyes. Looking at her, I nodded at her dismissively. Then I narrowed my eyes at Calissa, who had a hopeful look in her eyes.

"Calissa?"

"So I can join?"

"Get out."

My expression flattened. I hated it the most when someone barged in me while I was bathing. She pouted, protruding her eyes.