74: Painfully Beautiful

Play the most melancholic song for this chapter in your playlist.

Marienne plays the piano like this, although it's not the original one- part of it.

"I feel like a part of my soul has loved you since the beginning of everything.

Maybe were from the same star."

― Emery Allen

Marienne's POV:

It's been quite a while since we came back from the park. Since then, only one thing had been swirling in my mind.

Roseline.

Our time in park together, had ignited something within me, something... that I couldn't describe.

But I couldn't bring out the courage to let the thought reside in me. I was afraid that would end up discovering something I didn't like.

All I could do, was to watch her as I wallowed in the silent monachopsis, yet, every broken part inside me felt perfectly placed.

I clenched my fists as undulated rage bathed me, I let out a breath as I took her in, my anger directed more to myself than any person ever.

Her images, her dovelike eyes, her smile that put stars to shame, her cute little nose that scrunched up whenever she found something alluring- the only thing in my mind since we arrived at the mansion has been her.

The way her eyes darted to my lips as if she had been reminiscing that night....

I parted the curtain a little bit more, allowing myself to be mesmerized by her.

She seemed radiant, glowing- under the dim chandelier light, she looked like a goddess.

My heart palpitated, the longer I watched her, the organ began beating faster- and louder, in a continuous thrum.

I could hear it pounding away in my ribcage, singing in it's own song- pirouetting as I felt my fists unclench- the boiling anger dissipated into something more soothing... something hollowed. I felt empty, so empty.

What was this feeling?

It was something so foreign to me, something incongruous- I had never felt like this before. Like a caress of warm autumn breeze, like a petal floating through the current of wind, her smile touched me- breathing deep into my soul.

The more I watched her, the more fascinated I grew by her. Her eyes shone with so much pain- yet, she found her happiness in the smallest things.

Like eating an ice-cream or watching rain.

All those months ago, the first time I saw her, she was soaking in rain. I remembered the sense of calmness it brought me just to see her- like that.

I was infested by demons, but for some reason, she made me forget them- even if it was for a little while, even if it was unbeknownst to her and me.

As of now, I continued to watch her as she smiled with her mom, her friend and that new maid.

She was laughing, smiling, joking; words could not describe how exuberant I felt upon seeing her happy.

I gripped the curtain tighter as she let out a loud laugh- at something her friend had said.

Her smile that flowed like the pellucid shower of a downpour, shadowed my pain like a cumulonimbus cloud.

It tugged at the string of my heart- just like storms, it created havoc within me.

This feeling..... it was too beautiful, too euphoric to bind in words.