28: The Adulterer

Play the song!

"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens."

― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

 Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Marienne's POV:

Bleep.....

Bleep.....

Bleep....

The sound was ravenous, constant and repellent.

I could hear it.

The other sounds mingled in the background, ebbing away and leaving behind a faded sapour of audios, but this sound.... I could hear it clearly.

It was blithering.

I wanted to stir, move, but my body wasn't paying heed to my mind. It was like my body was the king of it's own.

"Madame.....!..."

A voice....

After so long.

A voice that I could hear clearly.....

What was happening?

"Madame....!.... His heart rate!....."

What?

"....Dieu!.... appeler les médecins. He is waking up...."

The sounds.... they were annoying....

Ugh.... Why does everything hurt....

And then, suddenly, I could move my eyelids. The numb feeling of my body faded away, leaving behind antagonizing pain.

____________________________________________________________________

It wasn't long before I had discovered I could move my body. The diabolic feeling of not feeling anything didn't exist anymore.

Upon opening my eyes, the first thing that had lit my senses was the brightness.

The painful, unyielding, raw brightness.

I hated it.

As a reflex, my hand immediately went up and covered my vision.

I could hear them fussing and asking me if I was okay. But I wasn't in a mood to answer them.

All I could focus on the darkness residing in my heart which opposed the brightness.

A sharp pain made it's way from my hand and travelled to my body, mixing with the other various small prickling sensation I was currently feeling.

"Mon fils.." Lindy....

"Are you okay?" Her voice dripped with concern and a hint of joy..... She seemed chivalrous, asking a half comatose man questions that he didn't want.