53. Mistaking the Mysteries

Chapter 53 - Mistaking the Mysteries

Umbridge bustled while she left, holding both my twin and Hermione at wand point while she ushered them from the room. It seemed that she no longer cared for subtleties when it came to her blatant abuse of her own students - she didn't care who knew she was in control now: not now that she was so close to finding Dumbledore's weakness.

Having already confiscated everyone's wands, Umbridge had placed them on the desk before she left. I felt naked now, having switched Harry's wand with my own - even someone as dumb as a toad would have realized that she had six captives and five wands. Now I was forced to watch my wand sit mockingly on her desk with the others - and even though my wand and I did not regularly get on, it felt wrong not to have it with me. A wand without its handler was nothing at all; even if the witch in question, such as myself, was hardly anything at all when she was wielding it.

"What should we do with them, now?" Crabbe asked mere seconds after Umbridge had gone. "Can we tie 'em up for dinner?"

"We can't just leave them to go down to dinner, you dolt," Malfoy hissed, shaking his head at Crabbe irritably. "We're detaining them."

"But now I'm bored," Bulstrode whined, rubbing her back absentmindedly against the wall she was leaning on. She was no longer holding Hermione and had taken to crossing her arms and pouting. "Who knows how long they'll be gone?"

"Who knows if they're coming back?" Parkinson added with a sneer. "Once they find that weapon, there will be no need to detain these ponces. Draco, let's just leave."

"And take them where, the dungeons?" Malfoy scoffed in sync with my eye roll. "Whoever gave you license to think, make sure they take it away from you."

"Well I'm not just going to stay here!" Parkinson bit out, stomping her foot childishly. "Let's you and I leave and let Potter take care of her brother's little friends."

"I'm not staying and dealing with them alone," I argued, my eyes narrowed on her. "Just because you want to stick your tongue into Malfoy's mouth doesn't give you the right to flap it around, calling the shots."

"I have more right than you do!" She argued, looking over toward Malfoy with a frown. "Right, Draco?"

"We're not leaving, Pansy," he grumbled, leaning back against the desk for a moment before he pointed lazily toward the office door. "So help, or get out. But I won't cover for you."

"Fine," she hissed, letting go of Ginny and shoving her, quite roughly, into my arms. I gave her shoulders a light squeeze and was pleased when she didn't try to kick my shins, as she had been ruthlessly trying to do to Parkinson. "Come on, Millicent, we're leaving."

Bulstrode - always the blind and loyal follower - nearly propelled herself from the wall and to Parkinson's side. "Where are we going, Pansy?"

"Anywhere we want," her eyes narrowed on Malfoy and then back to me. "I can see these two need to talk. Again."

"It's not like he can talk to you," I spit back. "It'd be like talking to a rock."

"Better a rock than mud," Parkinson hissed with a smirk. "We all know your mother passed that trait on."

"Your concern for her is flattering," Malfoy snapped at them, giving them a harsh snarl and standing from the desk so that he could look more intimidating. "Now leave if you won't be any help."

"I will!" The pug cried indignantly before she turned up her nose and slammed the door behind her. I rolled my eyes - that prat was such a...a pug. Still, she had given me the exact distraction I needed, and while everyone watched her little temper tantrum and took the time to scoff at her childishness, I was free to back up the three necessary steps to get to the desk where Umbridge had placed our confiscated wands. While Warrington took the mickey out on Malfoy for dating Parkinson in the first place, I picked up a wand - which I could only hope was Ginny's - and shoved it into her pocket, just as I had done for my brother.