54. Beyond the Veil

Chapter 54 - Beyond the Veil

I was right. It was a trap.

Around us, dozens of black figures were emerging from the shadows as if they were one with the shadows themselves. They were in a strategic formation, one which blocked each direction and each way of escape. They were wearing the same disturbing silver masks I remembered and though I could not see them, I happened to know that those masks happened to match their Dark Marks burnt into their forearms. Each Death Eater was also equipped with a wand and every single tip was aimed at each of our hearts.

"To me, Potter," the voice would have been impossible not to recognize and even though he was wearing a hood, it was quite clear who it was.

"Don't give Malevolent Malfoy anything, Harry. That's our ticket out," I whispered to my brother, my eyes raking over the dark formation around us. We were easily outnumbered two to one and considering I couldn't vouch for how well some of those in our group were with a wand, I was thinking that we were also mercilessly outgunned.

"To me," Malfoy said again, his voice lower.

"Where's Sirius?" Harry asked, trying to keep his voice strong but I watched as his expression wavered under the scrutiny and peeling laughter from the Death Eaters that surrounded us.

"The Dark Lord always knows!" A high, cackling voice said proudly from the center of the crowd. Instinctively, I took a step back - I had heard that mad cackle before and all that it meant was danger for me.

"Always," Malfoy echoed. "Now, give me the prophecy, Potter."

"I want to know where Sirius is!"

"I want to know where Sirius is!" The cackling witch mimicked in the most condescending voice she could manage. The sound of her voice made me hiss and step back again, it was hard not to notice that the Death Eaters had closed in nearly silently which made her voice much closer.

"He's not here, Harry," I whispered to him. "We're here for that orb, not Sirius."

"They've got him," Harry said, his teeth gritted. "He's here. I know he is."

"The little baby woke up fwightened and fort what it dweamed was twoo," the mad and wild witch giggled again - I had never imagined that a giggle could sound so similar to a cackle - but somehow it did and it held itself dangerously.

"Don't do anything," Harry whispered. "Not yet-"

"You hear him?" The wild-eyed woman screamed in laughter. "You hear him? Giving instructions to the other children as though he thinks of fighting us!"

"Oh, you don't know Potter as I do, Bellatrix," Malfoy drawled slowly. I could hear the smirk on his voice. "He has a great weakness for heroics; the Dark Lord understands this about him. Now give me the prophecy, Potter."

"He's not giving you anything," I hissed, taking a small step forward so I could be seen over my brother's shoulder. "Smash it, Harry."

"But if they want it shouldn't we-"

"They want us dead, too," I hissed, my eyes raking over the crowd of black hoods around us. "Do you think we should just lay down and let them."

"That would not be wise, Potter," Malfoy sneered to me. "Without that prophecy, you have nothing to barter with for your lives."

"If your Lord knows that Harry favours heroics, he should know that I favour common sense. You'll kill us the moment you have that memory." I frowned at him. Lucius Malfoy did not move or disagree with me - not that I expected him to.