Chapter 13

December 2nd.

Abel's POV

I yawned loudly and slouched against the brick wall. Another day of just standing around, I've grown accustomed to it though. I rubbed my eyes, trying to relieve the exhaustion from them. The squeak of the door caught my attention. I glanced at it and caught Elizabeth poking her head out.

"Elizabeth?" She jumped at my voice before looking me.

"Oh Abel, I thought you were on a break." She said, I glanced at her hands as she fidgeted with the door handle.

"I was but decided to come back early...are you going somewhere? " I asked smiling at her. Her cheeks tinted red in embarrassment at being caught.

"I-I was just going to go out in the garden to get some fresh air." She said glancing down the hallway.

"Alright I'll accompany you-"

"You really don't have to." She said cutting me off. "I'll be fine, its just the garden." She smiled at me. I stared at her for a while, studying her expression. It seemed forced.

"Elizabeth your safety comes before anything else, we never know who's watching and waiting for that one moment you're alone... I can't take any chances." I said pushing myself off the wall and fixing my belt. Elizabeth sighed and nodded.

We quietly made our way around the castle and to Elizabeth's little hidden garden. I had a feeling that she wanted some time to herself so I stood by the entrance of the garden and allowed her to go the rest of the way by herself.

I sat on a large rock by the gate and took out a small book from my front pocket. It was a really old book called "Turning Times", it's about a farmer and his many difficulties during the war. I had borrowed it not too long ago from Elizabeth's bookshelf to pass some time, although the plot was not the best it was small and easy to carry around.

I read for about an hour or so before I decided to check on Elizabeth. I walked down the concrete path and stopped at the gazebo. I peeked in, in hope's of not disturbing whatever it was that she was doing in there, but to my surprise I found her sprawled across the bench fast asleep. I walked quietly over to her and checked to make sure that she was actually asleep and not dead.

Her chest rose and fell in a steady rhythm, her hair brushed to the front, covering half of her face. I gently brushed it to the side, revealing her soft, delicate face. I frowned when I saw the stains of what was no doubt tears. She had been crying in here all by herself. But despite the tear stains, she looked at peace in her sleep. Almost like a small child, one that hasn't yet been tainted by the world's callousness. I had to wonder to myself if she was really okay, or if she had been hiding her internal pain from everyone. Of course she was, it was something she would definitely do...hurt on her own so she wouldn't burden anyone with her problems.

I sighed and lightly grazed her cheek with the back of my hand, as if that would comfort her in any way. She shifted and leaned into my touch.

"Marc..." I heard her whisper so softly that if you weren't listening closely you'd surely miss it. A single tear fell from her eye. My chest tightened at the sight.

"Elizabeth." I called, lightly shaking her shoulders. She stirred slightly but didn't wake up. I scratched the back of my head. She seemed really tired, she needed rest. I decided that it wouldn't be much of a problem to carry her back to her room myself.

I tucked my book back into my pocket and secured my knife in its holder strapped to my belt before I reached down and locked my arms under her knees and shoulders and picked her up. She was surprisingly really light so would have no problem carrying her. She stirred a bit before slowly opening her eyes.