Chapter 23

Abel's POV

The week came and went in a flash and before I knew it Sunday came around and so did Elizabeth's wedding. It was held on Sunday because her mother, the queen, claimed that It was seen as a holy day and the marriage would be blessed or something like that. Sounded like a load of crap to me but it wasn't like I had a say in anything. 

The wedding was set to take place in the town's church, right in the center of the town as if to make sure that the entire town knew that the princess would be wedded there.

Initially I had the thought that the nobles would be the only persons really interested in this ceremony but imagine how surprised I was to see the entire town marching down the streets of Arkadia, right down to the church. I had no doubt in my mind that persons came from all four corners just to see this wedding.

As we passed through the town, you could see persons closing up their shops,  casually pausing business for the day as if to emphasize just how important the this wedding was. The crowd was so large that the church was completely surrounded at all four corners.

It was then that I really came to the realization that this was the princess, our soon to be queen. Her and I have become so close that my mind unconsciously labels her as a regular person, just like me and Helga, but Elizabeth was far from normal. I needed to remember that.

I sighed heavily as I thought about what happened the last time we were together. We kissed and I didn't push her away, I didn't freeze up either. I willingly and knowingly kissed her back. Why? Because it felt unbelievably good. I remember her lips being so soft and supple, and my hands running along the smooth and softness of her skin. I remember the sweet scent of lavender filling my nostrils and making me dizzy and for those five minutes that our lips were locked, it felt as if I was intoxicated. I've never been drunk before, hell I've never even drank wine but from the stories I heard I could imagine that was what it felt like. I was drunk off Elizabeth. And I was completely guilty.

I groaned loudly and covered my face. "I'm such a jerk." I mumbled to myself. 

"Why do you think so?" I jumped back and glanced up to the voice, only to see a woman staring down at me, a warm smile on her face. I glanced around to see if she was talking to someone behind me. Then I looked back at her and pointed to myself .

"Are you talking to me?" I asked incredulously. The woman chuckled before pointing at the empty space next to me on the bench.

"May I sit?" She asked. I nodded hesitantly. She took a seat next to me and we fell into an awkward silence. What did this lady want? And why did she talk to me, off all person. No one ever voluntarily talks to me except Helga and Elizabeth and occasionally John. 

I strummed my hands along my pants and side glanced at her. She looked to be a little older than me, maybe in her early thirties. She had short hair and light makeup and wore a dress that looked incredibly expensive. If someone took one look at her they would immediately think she was a part of the higher and much richer society. A noble perhaps.

She glanced over at me and I quickly looked away. "Do you work for the royal family?" She asked. I glanced back at her and nodded.

"Uh, yes I do." I pointed to my many badges. I was given an official uniform to wear to the ceremony. It was snug and very comfortable.

"Silly me, I should've recognized that by your uniform. I'm Marcia by the way." She smiled and ran her eyes over me. I gave a nervous chuckle.

"Abel. Uhm, is there something you need?" I asked cautiously. I didn't want to come off as rude but it was a bit strange for her to just come over and talk to me. Or was that normal?