Chapter 14

(Continuing from chapter 13)

Abel's POV

I had been sitting on the bed, holding Elizabeth for about two hours now. She had finally cried herself to sleep. I sighed heavily as I laid her down onto the bed.

I sighed as I stared down at her. Her eyes were puffy and swollen and her cheeks were stained dry with tears. She still held the picture tightly to her chest, it was a little crinkled now from her grasping it. I got up to leave but as I turned, I felt a tug on my hand, then I was pulled back onto the bed. I looked at Elizabeth surprised.

"Please don't leave." I heard her whisper softly. I nodded but then shook my head, remembering that her eyes were still closed so she couldn't even see me.

"I wont, " I voiced. She gripped my wrist even more tightly. "I promise." I said placing my other hand atop  hers and gently rubbing circles on it, reassuring her.

Her grip loosened giving me time to take my shoes off. I couldn't afford to dirty her sheets. I stripped my shoes and took my belt off before I laid next to her. I kept my hands at my sides, not entirely sure what to do with them.

"Hold me, please." I heard Elizabeth whisper. I glanced over at her. Her eyes were still closed, tears streaming from them.

Hold her. Was that really okay? "Please." She whispered once more, her voice cracking slightly. I nodded and turned onto my side before scooting a little closer to her. I outstretched my arm and cautiously placed it on her waist. She sighed before snuggling into my chest. She shifted her leg and unknowingly brushed it against the front of my trousers.

I felt my face heat up at the slight contact. I shook my head. No, now wasn't the time for those thoughts. I felt Elizabeth relax against my chest and in no time I heard soft snores coming from her. Her breath tickled my neck but I willed myself to stay put.

I laid there for a few minutes before I felt myself getting drowsy, my body no doubt shutting down due to its built up exhaustion. Would it be alright if I slept for a bit? What if someone walked in and saw me, a low life guard laying in the princess's bed holding her. That would no doubt cause a ruckus. But I was really tired, it's been twenty seven hours since I last closed my eyes to get some rest. A couple minutes of shut eye wouldn't hurt.

I closed my eyes, and I quickly felt myself slipping away, my body now succumbing to its exhaustion.

_

When I opened my eyes again, the room was much darker than earlier, I looked out at the balcony and saw that the moon was out. It was now night time. Night time...I jumped up quickly.

Shit, it was night time!

I looked down next to me expecting to see Elizabeth still asleep but to my surprise her side of the bed was empty. I glanced around the room. Where was she?
I pulled my legs off the bed and quickly put my shoes back on. I stood and stretched, groaning lightly when I heard the satisfying crack of my back.

"Oh, you're awake." My head snapped towards the direction of Elizabeth's voice. She was walking out the bathroom, in nothing but a bath robe. My eyes shamelessly ran over her as she tied it securely around her figure. I straitened my posture when I finally met her gaze.

"Uh yeah, I um." I started, stuttering nothing but nonsense. I sighed. Elizabeth let out a small chuckle.
She was laughing. I'm not sure why but that made me feel as if I've accomplished something good. Just hearing an ounce of joy in her voice. I smiled.

"Thank you Abel." She said after a minute of us standing in silence. I nodded, knowing exactly what she was referring to. She walked over to me and wrapped her arms around my torso. I froze slightly when I felt her upper body press against my chest but I payed it no mind and quickly returned the gesture. I willed myself not to think about how intimate this was as I pulled her into my chest. I was now a little more familiar with hugging and I knew that people do it as a means of comfort, they trust you to comfort them.