Chapter 17

December 22nd

Abel's POV

It's been a week since then and I might have been avoiding Helga at all costs. Everytime I realized that we were in the same room I would make sure to go the opposite way. Why was I doing this? I'm not sure myself. I just feel really unsure when it comes to Helga and I didn't want to continue anything with her without being sure about my feelings, I didn't want to use her.

I sighed and scratched the back of my head as I made my way downstairs. It was lunch time and I was hungry as hell, I've been avoiding the kitchen the whole week, waiting for everyone to leave but by the time I finally get there all the food would be gone, so I've basically been famished all week. I decided that I would just face the situation, if I did end up seeing Helga I wouldn't ignore her and run away, I'll just confront everything head on.

I walked down the hall and came to a stop at the kitchen. It was full as usual and the line was as long as ever. I sighed heavily and made my way behind one of the other guards. I've been standing in line for a couple minutes, lost in my thoughts when I felt a tug on my hand.

"Abel!"

I jolted out of my thoughts and behind me to see Helga glaring at me, anger written all over her face. I felt my mouth go dry. Forget what I said earlier, I cant do this.

"Abel can we-"

"Uh sorry I actually have something that I need to do." I said quickly slipping out of the line and making my way to the doorway, one more day without lunch wont kill me right. I walked quickly to the door but was stopped in my tracks when I was harsly pulled back. I looked back to see Helga, who grasped my hand tightly. He face showed a much different expression than before, this time one of sadness. She sighed heavily.

"Why are you ignoring me Abel...did I do something wrong? If so I'm really so-"

"No! you didn't do anything wrong." I said, cutting her off. I sighed and rubbed my neck nervously and looking away. "Okay...let's talk." I glanced at her.

She smiled widely and grabbed my hand before dragging me out of the castle. We made our way down the familiar path until we came to a stop at the stables. She pushed open the wooden door and motioned for me to go in. I stepped past her and entered the dimly lit hut, the only light source being the beams of sunlight that shone through the broken boards of the ceiling.

"I got us lunch." She said smiling widely as she walked over to the shelves. She took up two containers and handed me one.

"Thanks." I said gratefully. As nervous as I was, I was happy that I didn't have to wait for lunch or starve for another day. My stomach growled at the thought and Helga laughed at the sound.

"Come, let's sit." She said climbing up onto one of the wagons. Her dress rose up with her movements and the entire length of her leg, from her thigh down to her feet was on full display. I swallowed and looked away. "Come on." She called out. I glanced back at her and saw that she was sitting now. I sighed and made my way over to her, taking a seat and leaving some space between us.

We began eating and an awkward silence fell over us, the only sounds being the occasional creaks of the wooden hut and the sound of the birds outside. Helga finally broke the silence.

"Did I do something wrong?" She asked, catching me off guard. I glanced over at her and saw her picking at her food, before she looked up at me. I scratched the back of my neck and opened my mouth to answer.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

She sighed heavily. "I mean...you've been ignoring me all week and it just makes me wonder if it's because of what I did. If I somehow forced anything on you I swear to the heavens Abel that wasn't my intention I was ju-"