Chapter 52

(There's a time skip after each '_' )

Three months later

Abel's POV

"Mummy mummy! Can I take Miss Maria with me?" Valerie yelled, shoving her doll into Elizabeth's arms.

Elizabeth opened her mouth to reply but I beat her to it.

"Of course you can Val, pack her safely in your travel trunk." I smiled and ruffled her hair. She grinned and ran back out of the room.

We were in the process of packing all our things to move into the Palace. After my last conversation with Elizabeth about my father wanting us to move in, I decided to give her some time to think it over.

After the news went out to the public about the Emperor reuniting with his once unknown son, the people of Benevento went into a frenzy, and somehow our address got leaked to many people.

Now here we are, just three months later.

I heard Elizabeth sigh heavily and when I glanced over at her she was sitting on the edge of the bed, her back slumped as she rubbed her stomach. She was a little over three months now and unlike her first pregnancy, she was already starting to show.

I made my way over to her and sat next to her.

"What's wrong?" I asked and placed a hand over hers, and gently ran my thumb over her fingers.

"Just a bit anxious I suppose." She began. "This is a really big deal for me, Abel. I left that royalty lifestyle for a reason, it gave me nothing but pain and trauma and now I'm about to be a part of yet another royal family. I know you're nothing like him and your father is nothing like my parents but it still makes me a little uneasy, you know?" She asked and glanced up at me.

I nodded. "I completely understand Liz. And I know this is a big step for you, but I promise you, you'll never have to go through anything like that again. Never." I squeezed her hand lightly. She nodded and rested her head on my shoulder.

In all truth, I was also a bit anxious. I've never been a part of a 'regular' family much less a royal one and I've seen how much pressure was put on Elizabeth while we were back at Arkadia. Though I doubt my father is anything like Elizabeth's parents, the sheer level of responsibility alone made me nervous.

My ears pricked and I drew from my thoughts when I heard a commotion coming from outside. I tapped Elizabeth's shoulder and stood from the bed and made my way over to the curtains. I pulled them back slightly and peered outside at the carriages that began pulling up to the house.

"Who is it?" Elizabeth asked, making her way over to me. "Oh, they're here..." she sighed softly.

"Come on, cheer up. I'll take our bags downstairs, go check on Val and make sure she's got everything ready." I said and pecked her forehead before I grabbed our luggage and made my way downstairs.

_

"Abel, how did you meet your fiance?"

I froze in place and slowly lowered my utensils to the table as I looked over at my half sister, Olivia. She was such a curious child, a little too curious at times.

When we had just gotten here a couple days ago she asked Elizabeth why she looked so fat, and boy, that did not end well. Then a few days after that, while her, our father and I were out in the garden 'bonding' she asked me 'how come my voice was so pretty for a boy'. Needless to say, I struggled to piece together a good response for that one.

I grabbed my napkin and dabbed at my lips, glancing over at Elizabeth for some type of assistance. She was already staring back at me, eyes wide.

I looked away from her and cleared my throat. "Well, I met her five and a half years ago in a foreign land-"