Chapter 3

Elizabeth's POV

I sighed heavily and rested my head in my palm. I was tired and it was proving to be a struggle to stay awake. Another tiring and meaningless day. I thought to myself.

"What do you think Elizabeth?" My mother asked, taking me out of my thoughts. I glanced at her with a bored expression. She glared back at me subtly.

"What do I think about what?" I smiled, knowing it would anger her further. She gritted her teeth.

"We are waiting on your approval for the woman." She said. I turned my attention towards the woman who stood in front of us. She looked young, maybe just a little older than me. I shrugged my shoulders, not really interested in who we did and didn't employ.

"She's okay." Was all I said. Out of the corner of my eye I could see my mother shake her head disapprovingly. I didn't mind her and after that I zoned out once more. I didn't really see the point of me being present for the picking of our house staff. It was quite a long and boring task and I very much rather be cooped up in my room reading.

My thoughts drifted as I remembered that woman from earlier. I couldn't mistake her, she was the one who saved me from that hooligan, only to find out that he worked for us. I was so surprised when he approached me, I wasn't sure what to do and my body went stiff with shock. I needed to get him fired. What was even more surprising was that one else seemed to care about what was happening, it was as if it was a normal thing that took place. If it wasn't for her stepping in, I don't know what would have happened to me, he would've probably removed my veil and exposed my identity, that wouldn't work well in my favor because I knew I wasn't supposed to be beyond the gates without any supervision. 

So you can just imagine my surprise when I saw her step forward, I knew for sure that we had to accept her. She did of course help me earlier, so I had to find a way to properly thank her.

"That is all for today!" My father yelled, drawing me out of my thoughts. Yes, we were finally finished. I quickly stood up to leave.

"Elizabeth hold it right there young lady, where do you think you are going?" My mother asked glaring daggers at me with her hands folded over her chest. I sighed and plopped back onto the throne, getting ready to take my scolding. "You thought we would just allow you to leave after that little outburst, how unladylike of you." My mother barked at me after everyone left.

"Now now Helen, don't be so hard on her." My father said smiling at me. I grinned back at him. It was obvious that I favored him over my mother. My father gave me some sort of freedom while she was always such a nuisance, everything had to go her way because apparently she was always right.

"Don't give me that nonsense!" She shouted at father. I sighed. "Did you see the filth she accepted? that, that PEASANT." She said pronouncing the word as if it was poison in her mouth. I stood abruptly.

"And what of it?" I said glaring at her. "Just because she looked like that, you don't even know the many hardships that people may be going through, she obviously needed the work and unlike you, status isn't something that I label and judge people by, how fowl." I stated and without another word I turned and started for the door.

"How dare you talk to me like that! Can you believe that girl!" I heard her yell behind me. I ignored her and opened the double doors, slamming them loudly behind me. I hated my mother's way of thinking. If you weren't of a certain status you simply weren't important, it really is sickening. I couldn't wait to inherit the throne because there are so many laws that I want to change. If she had such a problem with the girl I'll just make her my personal servant, simple.

With that though I started for my room. It was the last room in the castle, at the very top. I didn't quite mind though. It was quite big and I appreciated the sight that I got from my balcony, especially at night. I personally loved gazing at the sunsets and the stars so it was perfect.