Chapter 4

(Hope you enjoy. Marcus above btw)

September 14th.

Abel's POV

I stretched and sighed when I heard the crack of my back. I could already feel the stress of the busy day ahead, it was gonna be a rough one. It was the last day before the princess's birthday and the best way to describe the castle was that it resembled a colony of ants. There was noise, noise and even more noise. My head ached from it all.

All the maids and helpers were running around preparing different dishes and desserts, cleaning all the rooms, it was all just a mess. Since I wasn't ordered to do anything specific today I just helped out wherever I could. I lifted some heavy sacks of rice that the small maid definitely could not manage, I helped to decorate the hall, I went out to the stables and bathed the horses although I wasn't quite sure how they were included in anything. I couldn't get bored, there was just way too much work to get done, and I didn't mind it one bit, if only they weren't so noisy.

"Thank you so much." The girl said, clasping her hands in gratitude. I had just carried three sacks of potatoes to the kitchen for her, I don't know who in their right mind thought a little girl like her would be able to carry all these by herself. I smiled at her.

"It's no problem at all, just helping out wherever I can." I wiped away the sweat that ran down my face.

"Hey you over there!" A familiar voice yelled from behind us. We both turned in the direction of the voice and saw that same security guard from yesterday. He was motioning me over.

"Well it looks like I have something else to do, good luck with the cooking." I smiled and ran over to the guard.

"Sorry for interrupting, could I have a word with you?" He asked. I nodded and he led me away from everyone else. "I've been watching you help out around all day and I must say I'm quite impressed, you're really strong despite your....lanky build." He said looking me up and down. "I don't know what it is about you but I'm interested. I have a job for you-" he paused and looked over my shoulder. 

"Hurry and get those to the kitchen woman!" He yelled at a maid. She scurried off quickly. Then he turned back to me. 

"As I was saying I have a job for you lad, I think you are the perfect person too. You see after tomorrow the princess is going to need uhh some extra protection, she's going to be of age which now means she's worth a fortune uh or in other words the value of her life will increase significantly-" he paused and looked around cautiously, as if to see if anyone was close by then he came closer, "which means there are multiple possibilities of danger, especially kidnapping. " He whispered and pulled away.

My brows knitted. "Kidnapping?" I asked. He nodded.

"Yes, you heard right. All eyes are on her after tomorrow, and she'll be in more danger than she's ever been in. The king and queen want to take extra precautions because this has happened once before too. A couple years back the princess of Arcadia was kidnapped two days after her birthday, they say that she had gone to the restroom and never came back, and when they finally found her she was a completely different person, deranged, completely out of her mind. Her younger sister had to be the new heir to the throne. Now I'm only telling you this because my conscience is itching at me and telling me that I can trust you, and watching you for most of the day has somewhat confirmed that. So I want you, my friend, to be the princess's personal servant and bodyguard." He finished. I just stared at him.

Personal servant and bodyguard? Me? Out of everyone. I had no training whatsoever to even be classified as a bodyguard, much less for a princess. 

"Do you even hear what you're saying?" I asked in a hushed voice. "I'm merely a peasant sir, I have absolutely no form training or experience to be a bodyguard, much less to be the princess's personal bodyguard. One must possess certain qualities: strength, adequate training and let's not forget they should be willing to put their life on the line for her. I have none of those qualities sir." I said. He chuckled.