Chapter 53

(Time skip)

Abel's POV

"Papa Abel!"

"Val, hush up." I scolded and took her hand firmly into mine before she could run off. She frowned and tugged at my arm but I paid her no mind. Valerie was beginning to get a little restless since we've been standing for quite some time now.

We were at the central Church in the capital of Benevento. The church was packed like a tin of sardines with so many people I didn't even know, most being other royals, but there were also a few familiar faces like Selena, who had finally gotten back from her trip to Slovenia. They were all here for Marcus's christening ceremony.

I sighed heavily and picked up Valerie when she started tugging harder at my arm. She was getting even more defiant as she got older and I really didn't want to scold her here, in front of the entire church.

I glanced back over to the priest. He made a sign of the cross with his thumb then placed it gently on Marcus's forehead then he ordered for us to do the same. Then he began reading a passage from the Bible. A quick prayer was said then he motioned for Elizabeth and I to come closer.

"Because an infant can't speak for himself, the mother, father and the godparents must answer for him . So I asked you this, Do you renounce Satan? And all his works? And all his empty promises?"

I glanced at Elizabeth who nodded and we both uttered "I do." I wasn't much of a fan of religion so I didn't even know what he was going on about, I just played along for the fun of it.

The priest nodded then spoke once more. "Do you believe in God, the Father Almighty, Creator of heaven and earth?" Uh oh. Once again I looked over at Elizabeth., not sure what to say. She took my hand into hers and nodded. I glanced back at the priest and we both said another 'I do' in unison.

"Do you believe in Jesus Christ ?" He asked again which was followed by another 'I do' from Elizabeth and I. "And do you believe in the Holy Spirit?" What's with all these questions? I thought to myself.

Once again Elizabeth and I said 'I do' followed by my father and Selena.

Finally we were ordered to gather around the baptismal font and I watched as they held Marcus over the basin while the priest poured water three times over his head, then he began to say his first and middle name.

"I baptize you in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. Amen." He said, the entire church following in unison. Then he proceeded to rub some type of oil on top of Marcus's head. He then handed him back over to Elizabeth. We both turned to the congregation who stood and applauded. Then we were led back to our seats at the front of the church.

This wasn't exactly my scene. I wasn't the type of person to delve into religion. I did believe there was a God but that was about it for me.

"Don't worry, it'll be over soon." Elizabeth whispered, sensing my uneasiness. I nodded.

I hope she was right.

_

Elizabeth lied. The ceremony went on for another three hours. This only solidified my disinterest for these types of gatherings.

I sighed and leaned against the church wall, I had been standing for quite some time, waiting patiently for Elizabeth to finish speaking to a very, might I add, touchy old man. I narrowed my eyes when he reached out and touched her arm...again. Elizabeth pulled back slightly and I could see the obvious discomfort on her face. I pushed off the wall, ready to make my way over them.

"Abel."

I immediately stopped in my tracks and my head snapped over to the familiar voice. My eyes widened when I saw who it was.