Chapter 32

Abel's POV

I stood rooted in my spot as I stared back at the man that I had once called my father. He stared back at me, equally shocked. I hadn't even thought of the possibility of him still being alive, but here he was standing in the flesh, right in front of me.

"You're alive, I-I thought-"

"Why wouldn't I be alive!" I bit back. Did he think mother sent me off somewhere to die? Tsk, I wouldn't be surprised if he did.

"No I don't mean it like that Abel..." he moved his eyes over to Elizabeth. I unconsciously pulled her closer to me. "Look, come inside, we can talk." He pointed back to the opened door. I quickly shook my head.

"No, we must be going." I said flatly. I grabbed Elizabeth's hand and began to pull her along but he quickly stepped in front of us.

"Please Abel, it won't be long. There's so much I need to tell you. I'll even help you, I know that's the princess." He glanced at Elizabeth briefly. "Please...I want to apologize." He pleaded.

I clenched my jaw and looked back over to the open door. Was mother inside too? If so, I wanted to see her, more than anything. And he just wanted to talk, what if it's important?

His guilt is eating him alive.

My subconscious voiced. I sighed heavily and glanced down at Elizabeth who was already looking at me. She gave me a small smile and gently squeezed my hand that was interlocked with her. I then looked back at my father.

"Fine, make it quick." I said blankly. He smiled and nodded.

"Please, come before you're seen." He said and led us into the house, locking the door behind us. I stood, with Elizabeth by my side as my eyes took in the room. We were standing in the kitchen, if it could be called that. There wasn't much, there never was. I glanced at the coal chamber over to the corner of the room, a small pot placed over it.

"This way." He leaned the gun against the wall and motioned for us to follow him. I gripped Elizabeth's hand and pulled her along with me. He led us over to a small dining table that had two chairs. I watched as he disappeared for a second and came back with a stool. He sat on it on the other side of the table.

I sighed and pulled out one of the chairs for Elizabeth and stood next to her.

"You don't want to sit?" He asked.

"There's no need, we're not staying long." I replied. I was only in this house for a couple minutes and I already hate it. The memories that I had in this very room was nothing short of traumatic. The numerous beatings for no goddamn reason, being starved...it was all replaying in my head.

"-papers." My attention was brought back to him when he placed a torn out newspaper article on the desk. I grabbed it up and my mouth fell open as I read the headline.

'SERVANT KIDNAPS AND FLEES WITH PRINCESS'

My eyes ran over the sketch of my face right under the headline and stared at the bold letter underneath. 'Wanted, dead or alive. Reward one million dollars.'

A small chuckle unknowingly left my lips as I stared at the article. Of course they thought I kidnapped her, why would the princess, who had every single thing at her feet, willingly run away huh? I scoffed and threw down the paper.

"Let's go, we're leaving." I said and Elizabeth immediately stood to her feet and so did my father.

"Wait! Please there is something else I need to show you. It's important Abel I swear, this could change your entire life." He motioned for us to stop. I groaned loudly at him.