Chapter 1

(Howdy y'all, alright so this is the second book that I've ever written and I'm not the best writer but I do hope you enjoy. This book will contain mature themes and I'll be sure to put a warning where necessary. Abel above btw)

September 12.

Abel's POV

I squinted when I opened my eyes and was momentarily blinded by the bright rays of sunshine. I rubbed at my bleary eyes, ridding them of their heaviness.

Morning already.

I sighed heavily at the thought of the day ahead. I sat up from the mattress I was sleeping on and stared up at the sky. The rising sun casted a rosy hue across the morning sky. I always felt somewhat captivated at morning time, something about the way everything slowly wakes, the cool air brushing lightly against my skin, the various birds singing their choruses. In a way, each morning brought a feeling of new beginnings.

I looked back down to my mattress. It wasn't much, it was old and torn and provided no sense of warmth but I made it work and it was better than sleeping on the hard dirt floor.

I yawned and stretched my limbs, wincing when a surge of pain rushed to my side. I lifted my shirt to see a bit of blood oozing from the wound. I had tried my best to stitch it shut but it must have opened up from me twisting and turning throughout the night.

I had been stoned a couple days ago for stealing some bread from a stall in the market. I was hungry and I had no money to pay for it so that was my last option. I initially thought I would have gotten away quickly without a scratch since I know every nook and cranny of the market, all the shortcuts, dead ends, everything. Luck wasn't in my favor however, I tripped while fleeing and before I could even properly get back up was showered with stones. One particularly sharp one hit my rib and sliced through the skin.

I sighed once more and put my shirt back down. I would have to find a way to get some bandages. I was used to this type of treatment by now, I mean, it's all I've known, I've been subjected to all types of abuse ever sinceI was a child...

(Flashback)

I wiped my eyes and cowered further into the corner, my body shook in fear as I watched another glass smash and shatter only a few inches away from me. I whimpered when I felt a piece of it slice my leg.

"I WANT THAT PIECE OF SHIT OUT OF THIS HOUSE THIS INSTANT DO YOU HEAR ME!" My father shouted loudly while pointing menacingly at me, the vein in his neck bulged unnaturally as if it could pop any moment and his face was beet red with anger. He was yelling at mother again. I hated when he shouted at her because then she would cry and I believe that someone as beautiful as her should never shed a tear.

They were arguing and I was once again the main topic of discussion, and all because of my body. Mother told me that both my parents along with the town's doctor thought I was a boy when I was first born, but that wasn't quite correct. I was... different, after further inspection the doctors informed my parents that I was born with both a male and female genitalia and the older I grew I would start to develop some female features. Apparently it was really unusual to be born that way, a one in a thousand occurrence. It was from then on that I was deemed nothing but an outcast, a freak of nature.

My father hated me to the core because of this 'condition'. He is so disgusted. Like most traditional father's, he wanted a son. A son who would grow up and take over his business as farmer, one who would become a fine gentleman and make him proud, but instead he got me...a disappointment. He loathed every inch of me.

My dear mother on the other hand, she loved me whole heartedly despite me being 'different'. She was kind and caring and was the only one that had always cared for me and gave me some sort of love. That's why I hated seeing her hurt, especially if I was the cause of it.