Chapter 41

Narrators POV 

Arkadia was once known as the crown jewel of the east. A place that was once said to be touched by God himself. Persons would journey from far and wide for days just to experience the rich life of an Arkadian.

That was, before the current ruling king.

King Gerald Gallomour the second, one and only child to King Galomour the first and only heir to the Gallomour throne. He was crowned king at the young age of twenty three and was said to be one of the youngest rulers of Arkadia. He was said to have ruled with an iron fist for the first few years, but everything changed when he settled down and got married, or so people say.

Helena Adamson, now formally known as the wife of Gerald and queen to the Gallomour throne, was a noble from a very prestigious family from the far south, she was rumoured to have been in a secret relationship with king Gerald for many years. After his crowning ceremony she traveled miles to meet her true love and without much thought, being smitten by Helana's godly beauty, Gerald wasted no time to make her his wife.

The folks of Arkadia said everything changed after that. The king supposedly got lazy, and his queen took over and so did her corrupt leadership. Arkadia, which was once a country prosperous in resources and lush beauty slowly became ridden with poverty and ghastly to the sight. Economy dropped and the working class began to suffer tremendously, all while the rich and nobles continued to lived life without worry.

Most say that it was the queen's fault, and that she was a curse bestowed upon Arkadia. Bad mouthing her had gotten many killed so the rumors stopped, but the thoughts of the people never ceased.

Just like back then, Arkadia today is still riddled with poverty. There was once hope of the princess giving the people a better life, but once news got out of her disappearance, all hope was lost…...

"What are you waiting for? GET RID OF HER!" The King yelled at Andreas who stood before him.

"But sire, we have yet to questi-"

"I DONT CARE! Do you know how bad it would look if this were to get to the public? Oh, 'the princess's kidnapper is being held as a prisoner inside the castle'. PEOPLE WILL BE FURIOUS! They demand blood Andreas! You rode through those streets, you've seen for yourself how outraged those people are." He flailed his hands as he spoke, the vein in his neck bulged unatually as his anger spiked.

"Yes sire I'm aware, but all I was trying to say is wouldn't it be wise to question her about the whereabouts of Elizabeth before executing her?  Surely she knew where that ship was heading. We could get rid of  her after getting answers." Andreas stated, trying his best to reason with the much older man.

"Do you really think she's going to give up any information Andreas? By the looks of her injuries from your interrogation earlier, she obviously doesn't plan on talking." The king said sarcastically.

"Don't worry sire we have… other ways...to make them talk?" Andreas said, giving the king a determined look. 

King Gallomour raised a brow before he grabbed his robe and tightened it around his large stomach, then he huffed and waved his hands in dismissal.

"Very well then. But if in two days you have not gotten any information, I want that woman's head on a spike, placed right in the center of the city as a warning. Our people are angry, their soon to be queen has disappeared along with their hope of a good life...we've already failed them for far too long." The King said, his voice much softer than before

_

Just below the king's chambers was the dungeon, the cells dark and eerily quiet. It was empty, all but one cell was left occupied. The timely pitter-patter of water droplets that fell from the cracked ceiling wall and the soft  pained groans from the prisoner were the only sounds that filled the dungeon.