Chapter 2

Abel's POV

I walked through the castle gates and up the long walkway with my newfound sense of hope. There were a lot of people who attended today, hundreds if not thousands at that. Each of us with one goal in mind, to get accepted.

I sighed at the thought. I was a bit insecure, I felt as though everyone else here was much more competent than I was. I had no specific skill or training, tge only experience I had was from scrubbing floors in the tavern. I wasn't really known for anything but an outcast and a thief. I groaned at myself and decided to shake off the negative energy. I had to stay positive.

The walk to the castle itself was a little long, a mile or so and all of us had to walk there. I had been walking for some time and the soles of my feet ached for a break. I finally came to a stop at the large crowd of people standing by another large gate. Everyone seemed to be excited, talking and laughing loudly among themselves. The gate was lined with a good number of guards, all wielding their separate weapons.

I watched as a guard yelled out some instructions. He was at the front of the crowd and I was at the far back so I could hear his voice but not the words. But soon enough I understood when I saw everyone beginning to form lines, so instead of standing around idly I decided to join one.

I stood for quite some time, swaying from side to side trying to relieve some pressure from my aching feet. I had been minding my business when I heard a small cry.

"Please stop." It was so soft that if you weren't alert you would definitely miss it. I glanced around trying to decipher where the sound was coming from. Nothing seemed to be out of the ordinary, just persons conversing with each other. I decided to shrug it off.

"Hey now, you shouldn't wonder around by yourself." Another voice followed soon after. My curiosity got the best of me so I followed the direction of the voices. Scanning the crowd,to my left, not too far away I saw a large man, he was about my height but he was very muscular. He was towered over what looked to be a small girl. She had on a robe that covered her hair and part of her face, her eyes being the only thing visible.

"You're hurting me, let go." She said softly as if tryingnot to draw attention. I watched as she tried prying her hands from his larger ones. I shook my head and averted my gaze. It wasn't my business to dwell in.

"Stop please." The girl cried again. I groaned and ran a hand through my hair as my conscience itched to help the girl. I glanced back over to them. How could I help though, that guy was huge. I ran my hands down my face and sighed heavily then I slid my way through the lines and began making my way over to them.

"Hey be qui-" before he could finish his sentence I grabbed his arm and snatched it off the girl, shoving him away from her.

"She said stop." I said while staring blankly into his eyes. He snarled and grabbed me by my collar bringing me closer to his face, gripping my shirt and inevitably crushing it. I sighed. Sophie spent so much time fixing that earlier.

"Who the fuck do you think you are bitch, if you know what's good for you get out of my sight!" He yelled, his breath hot and pungent, I scrunched my nose and visibly gagged. He scoffed and pushed me onto the pavement. Great now my slacks are dirty. I sighed and got up, brushed off my slacks and faced the girl, who was staring at me with a strange look in her eyes.

"You should go now bef-" I didn't get to finish because I was shoved once again by the man. The girl gasped as we both fell to the ground. I quickly lifted myself onto my arms and hovered over her. "Sorry about that." I sighed. "When I get up you make a run for it okay." I said quickly, I could hear the man approaching us. The girl nodded and she sounded as if she was trying to say something but before she could I quickly got up and without any sense of direction I started swinging my arms frantically, hoping to get a good punch in.